2 replies to this topic

#1 Crocodile

Crocodile

ZT1 Designer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:26 AM

I just wanted to know what does this do in the uca file that makes it different from the family and the animal id itself.

Edited by Crocodile, 16 May 2017 - 02:23 PM.

#2 jbl89

jbl89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:06 AM

I can only guess it's a relict for the educational purpose ZT1 had. I doubt there's an in-game use for it?

#3 Cricket

Cricket

Advanced Member

• (Admin)Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,703 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:43 PM

I just wanted to know what does this do in the uca file that makes it different from the family and the animal id itself.

Here's a response from Jay:

There is a list of genus and family IDs at ZKL:

http://www.lunamanar...php?f=57&t=2017

To answer crocodile's specific question (in my typical long and boring but precise detail)... For real life animals, the science community created an animal classification system. As part of that system, an animal Order can have 1 or more Family; an animal Family can have 1 or more Genus; an animal Genus can have 1 or more species. It is a system to say how similar various animals are to one another. So 2 species in the same Genus are more similar to each other than 2 species that are each in a different Genus. Similarly, 2 species in the same Family are more similar to each other than if each are in a different Family. When ZT was created, they included settings for Family and Genus. But those are not the same Family or Genus that is used by the science community. However, the concepts are the same. A ZT Genus can have 1 or more ZT animal species in it. A ZT Family can have 1 or more ZT Genus in it. The purpose of the ZT Family and ZT Genus is to make it easier to have an animal like or dislike other animals. For example, instead of having the zebra's configuration contain each cat it dislikes, the configuration only uses 1 setting: the zebra dislikes the ZT Cat Family. That also has the advantage that any user made cat will also be disliked by the zebra. Similarly, instead of having the zebra's configuration contain each odd-toed ungulate that it doesn't mind in its exhibit, the configuration only uses 1 setting: the zebra likes the ZT Odd-toed Ungulate Family. Again, that also has the advantage that any user made odd-toed ungulate will also be tolerated by the zebra. Usually it is a ZT Family that is used to have an animal like or dislike a group of animals. But sometimes the ZT Genus is used. That is especially true of dinosaurs, since all dinosaurs are in the ZT Dinosaur Family. I have felt that ZT Genus is not used enough. Sometimes an animal is configured to like some other specific animal. I feel it is usually better to configure one animal to like the other animal's ZT Genus instead. That way if another user made animal is made of that Genus, it will be liked as well. Similarly, I also feel the ZT Genus should be used to make an animal not dislike adding more of it to an exhibit. The above post containing a quote from me was talking about that problem, where ZT shows a frown when adding the same animal to an exhibit, which is a common problem when using APE or older versions of APExp. But I do not actually agree with my answer in that post. I was just saying what was usually done by designers to get around that problem, even though I feel that is not the best approach. To determine if ZT should show a frown, ZT looks in the [cCompatibleAnimals] section to see what values are associated with the ZT Family ID, ZT Genus ID, animal ID, and animal Type (which is usually the APE ID for a user made animal), and ZT adds those values together. If the sum is negative, the animal is disliked; if the sum is positive, the animal is liked; if the sum is zero, the animal is tolerated. It is best to have the sum equal zero for when another of the same animal is added to an exhibit, so that a smile will not be shown while the Zookeeper Recommendations complain about there being too many animals in the exhibit. For some animals, the ZT Family ID for that animal is in that section with a negative value. To prevent the frown, designers will add the animal's APE ID to that section with a positive value that is at least enough to counter the negative value. But I feel it is better if the ZT Genus ID is added to that section with the same value as the ZT Family ID value, but positive. That will prevent the frown when another of that animal is added and will also prevent the frown when other similar user made animals are added to the exhibit. That is what I did when I made APExp 3.2, so it does not have that problem that APE and earlier APExp versions have. For some animals, especially for dinosaurs, it is best not to have the animal's ZT Family ID, ZT Genus ID, or APE ID in that section. Again, that is what APExp 3.2 does, unlike APE and earlier APExp versions. So I feel it is good for a designer to know all of the ZT Family and ZT Genus IDs, and to decide carefully how those should be represented in the [cCompatibleAnimals] section. I also feel it is better to use APExp 3.2 rather than APE or earlier APExp versions when creating a new animal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 Your Company Name