20 replies to this topic

#1 Brandi

Brandi

~_♥_~ Winged Diva~_♥_~

• (Admin)Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,957 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 02:20 PM

Fix leaking faucets to save water -- one drop per second can waste 165 gallons per month
Use baking soda as a natural surface cleaner. Mix 1/2 cup baking soda with enough liquid dishwashing detergent to create a frostinglike consistency. Apply mixture to a sponge as an ideal cleaner for any sink. Or, if you don't want to use a sponge, dip half a lemon in baking soda for a great sink cleaner.

Make your own disinfectant spray with vinegar and any essential oil, such as lemon oil or tea-tree oil. Combine 1/4 cup vinegar, 2 cups water, and 10 drops lemon oil or tea-tree oil. Another good recipe is 2 teaspoons tea-tree oil and 2 cups of water mixed in a spray bottle. Shake well before spraying onto problem areas.

Use club soda as a window and glass cleaner. Use a 100 percent cotton cloth to wipe off the club soda.
Polish wood with olive oil. Mix 2 parts olive oil with 1 part lemon juice, and use a soft cloth to apply to wood.

Use plant-based products for the washer and dryer. Modern detergents work just as well in cold water, so you don't need to use the hot-water cycle. Instead of dryer sheets, place a dab of plant-based liquid softener onto a washcloth, and put the cloth in the dryer

#2 Brandi

Brandi

~_♥_~ Winged Diva~_♥_~

• (Admin)Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,957 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 02:21 PM

Go paperless!
Most telephone companies , cable/satelite companies, medical billing etc have a paperless billing option these days. Instead of getting mail sent to your house, have it sent to your inbox.

#3 Brandi

Brandi

~_♥_~ Winged Diva~_♥_~

• (Admin)Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,957 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 02:27 PM

Unplug!
if you aren't using that battery charger, or other small apliances (radios) unplug them! Even if they aren't turned on you are still using energy.

#4 Brandi

Brandi

~_♥_~ Winged Diva~_♥_~

• (Admin)Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,957 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 02:29 PM

Compact Fluorescent Lights (CFLs) last up to 10 times longer than traditional bulbs and use only a fraction of the energy, saving you money over their lifespan. If just 1 million households each replaced 4 traditional lightbulbs with Compact Fluorescents (CFL), we’d eliminate 900,000 tons of greenhouse gases.

Turning down your thermostat just 1 degree can cool your heating costs by 3%.

Wash your clothes in cold water and save yourself up to $400 a year in bills.

1.5 million tons of plastic are used to make bottles every year, a waste that could instead power electricity in 250,000 homes. So, refill those water bottles if you have them.

#5 Brandi

Brandi

~_♥_~ Winged Diva~_♥_~

• (Admin)Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,957 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 02:31 PM

use paper bags rather than plastic, and better yet, use a canvas bag that you take with you each time you shop.

Over 25% of your daily household waste consists of excessive packaging used to ship your purchases to the shelf. Next time you’re at the market, shop around for less packaging.

#6 Brandi

Brandi

~_♥_~ Winged Diva~_♥_~

• (Admin)Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,957 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 03:34 PM

Encourage recycling programs in your area. Separate your trash! Glass, plastics, paper, cardboard.. look at the labels, if the container is recyclable, do it! It only takes a few minutes. Left over food? Reuse it, don't throw it out. Peelings and spare bits of veggies ,use for compost.

#7 MyraB51

MyraB51

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:55 PM

We grow veggies. We give the scraps to the rabbit. The rabbit 'compost' them for us. The 'rabbit compost' goes back into the compost heap for the next batch of veggies. Newspaper, the paper bills that we do get, and other scrap paper are shredded and added to the heap as well. We keep ducks and chickens for eggs. We don't have a recycling service in our area so we try to do as much of it as we can ourselves by taking plastic grocery bags back to the bins at the stores and so on. The produce that we do buy, we get locally from the farmer's stand. It hasn't been transported from as far saving on emissions and so on.

#8 Guest_UZMUTT_*

Guest_UZMUTT_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2008 - 08:50 AM

We're slowly converting all of our bulbs to CF. We just moved into the house less than a year ago, so we using the bulbs that are here, and as they burn out replacing them.

Make sure you turn off your lights even if your leaving the room for only a minute. The guys on Myth Busters proved that turning your lights off and on right away doesn't use that much energy, and you will save more energy by turning them off.

If your buying new appliances, go with an energy star one. They range in all price ranges, so your not going to pay more for one, over non energy star ones, and you'll save additional cash long term by using less energy.

Go outside more often. Lets face it, so many of our indoor activities use energy. (You reading this using a computer, and probably over head lights, and perhaps a radio in the background) Going outside eliminates all that energy use. Giving plenty of natural light to read by.

#9 fountain

fountain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts
  • Interests:Veg garden, eclectic music, bellydance, ice skating, planet health

Posted 15 July 2008 - 03:57 PM

It's hard to get into the habit of taking the reusable bags back to car after unloading them.
It's hard to get into the habit of remembering to take the reusable canvas/cloth/whatever bags into the store with me.

So we put the resuable bags by the front door as soon as they are unloaded so they go back to the car.
We designate one person to carry them inside.
And we put the the reusable bags in the child seat in the shopping cart.

What really helps is how few plastic bags we have to haul out of the pantry to grocery store to recycle.

When we clothes shopping I find myself wanting to take in the reusable bags so I don't bring home more plastic.

Now I'm saving the mesh bags from potatoes and onions to use as produce bags.

I break down cereal and other boxes and put those under landscaping fabric to block weeds from growing under garden paths. I tried putting wood chips on top but the grasses and weeds in my yard love wood chips and happily grew over them.

My Can-O'-Worms is busy in the basement all year long. The red worms eat the vegetable excess provide terrific fertilizer. Next step is purchasing rainwater collection barrels for three corners of the house. My house has a water cistern but the township won't let us use for drinking water.

We use fans and natural breezes as much as possible and put in the window AC only when we have to. Planted wisteria about 12' from the house and I'm training upward. Next year, I'll train over wires toward the front window to shade the window and provide a shady spot in front of the house.

Have a birdfeeder 14' in front of the window to provide some food for the birds and entertainment to 2 housecats.

fountain

#10 KCAdams

KCAdams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:23 AM

In the past 6 months it has became mandatory to recycle in my area. We have always recycled as a family, but until you have to become aware of what goes into the garbage can and what gets recycled, you don't realize how many recycables we really use. Since we started checking all plastics, metals, cardboard, etc. for the recycle symbol our recycle container fills twice as fast as the garbage can.
[attachment=24219:small_Recycle.jpg]

Also this past few months we are chainging all of our lightbulbs to the CF lights. Hopefully they last as long and as efficient as they say.

Posted Image

Edited by genkicoll, 18 June 2009 - 07:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 Your Company Name