Top Posters In This Topic

• barbinflorida

• Fern

• genkicoll

• IcePengwyn

• 1 year later...
barbinflorida

hello again,

I can't believe I have to ask for clarification after all this time but I am just getting around to loading my ZT game onto my new computer. One would think that since I have a file of my old hard disk, everything would be organized and show up but it seems to be hit or miss or it's been so long I've just forgotten.

So, I put ALL my .ztd files in dlupdates-no matter how many that is of anything. I notice I did keep several zoos in their own folders to load when I wanted to play with them again. But, just to beat a dead horse yet again, I only put .ztd files in the UPDATES folder if I want to use them in a game? the ones in the dlupdate don't show in the game (I also have one marked dupdate)? I have folders marked ZUPDATE and ZUPDATE1 which I assume were additions made my the game itself. Am I understanding this again? I feel like a dope! and I was getting organized so well.... :sFun_doh2:

TIA I hope to be able to visit a bit again. Life has really gotten busy but I have really missed ZT. Has anyone taken the buildings or enemies from Totem Tribe and altered them for ZT?

Barb

Hold the phone barb you are gonna be in soooooooo much trouble when you put ALL my .ztd files in dlupdates-no matter how many that is of anything.

You see these is where you put the things you play in for the zoo you are involved in.

ALL files should be kept elsewhere

I have them on my D-drive where I created different folders for buildings, animals, statues,

packs, fountains, (you name it)

I also have there a folder named screenshot contest, monthley contest, clubcontest, commuityzoo, try out zoo, (and some more).

In case I start new zoo I take what I want to play with from these folders in my D-Drive

and put all ztd.files in Dlupdate (I leave all other well enough alone)

If I done need to make a quick switch I create another zoo folder (in this case I would name it personal zoo for the time being) and would copy/cut and paste the entire content from the dlupdatefolder into the one I just named personal zoo.

And get back to any other zoo folders to have them copy/pasted into the dlupdate to continue on that zoo.

It will limited the number of files in the dlupdate as the game can only hold about a 359

ztd.files or so for the entire game so that is including the ingame ztd.files.

And they should be all visible in the zoo when you have them in the dlupdatefolder

If you have MM or CC you are making life extremely difficult for yourself. MM and CC use the Updates folder. So it will become extremely difficult to know what things should be there and what things you have added if you need to remove any.

If you put everything in dlupdates there is a good chance your game will crash or not start because you will have too many files.

Keep your downloads in a folder outside of ZT and only move into dlupdates the files you want ingame.

The game will not read subfolders of dlupdate (unless the .ini is changed), nor will it read zips.

That is what I have done - I have changed the .ini file to read special folders I have set up for the contests and do not even use the dlupdates folders. Easier to rename the special folders as needed than it is to keep deleted & reloading the dlupdates folder.

That is what I have done - I have changed the .ini file to read special folders I have set up for the contests and do not even use the dlupdates folders. Easier to rename the special folders as needed than it is to keep deleted & reloading the dlupdates folder.

Ashea, How do you change the ini file to read "special folders"? And, what kind of special folders do you have named? And, how do you get the ini file to know what folder you want to use?

There are threads around (probably at ZA or ZA archives or even ZKL) about how to change the ini or just ask Jay.

Note that changing the .ini to read other folders will not increase the amount of files you can have ingame. That amount stays the same.

barbinflorida

Pukkie, Fern,

Thanks so much for this clarification. I had it just backwards. knowing the right way lets me see that I was starting to organize and got stopped in the middle. I do have all my updates in other folders, just not all were unzipped. So, I will keep them there (or transfer back!) and use the dlupdate folder as advised. I have the CC. I wondered why nothing was in the dlupdate folder when I loaded the game and now I know why. That must be how I left it. Thanks again, off to spend a ton of time reorganizing :)

added after checking files:

all my updates, mostly downloads from here, are in a folder in ZT labeled Updates. I don't remember if this is one I created or not. would you recommend moving this entire folder outside of ZT and organizing within it? Thanks again.

Yes I would better safe then sorry LOL

after you done that you can always choose to un and reinstall the game

as you have all files elsewhere and they won't be lost.

After reinstalling all original things from the game are where they supposed to be

anyway.