Zoo Tycoon Downloads Directory

Fern

I use Windows 7. Virus protection is Symantec Endpoint Protection. I've tried on both IE9 and Firefox 13.0. I've also tried it on two different computers (one's a public access computer at the library that I work at, the other's my office computer). No matter what I try, it always just sits there until it times out.

The front page doesn't work. I can't access the download directory or the guild. But ZA's just fine!

From Jay:

For those who cannot get to the DD front page, here is another thing they can try. They can open a Command Prompt window, type the following in the window, and press the Enter key:

ping -n 3 ztcdd.org

The "ping" program asks another computer "are you there?". All computers on the internet are assigned numbers as their address. When the ISP sees this "are you there?", the ISP has to find the number address for ztcdd.org. It uses a computer called DNS (Domain Name Server) to find the number address. Then that number address is used to do the "are you there?". The "-n 3" says to do the "are you there?" 3 times. Other than the times, this is what should be shown:

Pinging ztcdd.org [168.144.109.12] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 168.144.109.12: bytes=32 time=66ms TTL=46

Reply from 168.144.109.12: bytes=32 time=67ms TTL=46

Reply from 168.144.109.12: bytes=32 time=67ms TTL=46

Ping statistics for 168.144.109.12:

Packets: Sent = 3, Received = 3, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 66ms, Maximum = 67ms, Average = 66ms

This means that the ISP found that the number address for ztcdd.org is 168.144.109.12. An "are you there?" was then sent to 168.144.109.12 three times, and it got back a reply for each one. If a number address is not found for ztcdd.org or if the number address is something different than 168.144.109.12, that means either the ISP's DNS computer has wrong information or there is a virus on the person's computer or something blocked checking ztcdd.org on the person's computer (such as via the computer's "hosts" file). It is also possible to use the number directly:

ping -n 3 168.144.109.12

In this case, the DNS computer is skipped. Other than the times, this is what should be shown:

Pinging 168.144.109.12 with 32 bytes of data:

Packets: Sent = 3, Received = 3, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 66ms, Maximum = 66ms, Average = 66ms

Another thing that can be checked is the computer's "hosts" file. The location of the "hosts" file depends on the MS Windows version. For current home versions, it would be C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts. For some professional versions, it could be C:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts. For some older versions, it could be C:\windows\hosts. One can look inside that "hosts" file using a program such as WordPad. ztcdd.org should not be in that "hosts" file.

Cricket

This is what I get when I do the ping:

ping -n 3 ztcdd.org

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Packets: Sent = 3, Received = 0, Lost = 3 (100% loss).

No luck on getting on either site either.

When running from the command line I get:

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

I am running Windows XP, with Firefox and my antivirus is McAfee Total Protection.

I have no trouble at all getting on either site .

Cricket

Those of you that cannot access the site ... do you by any chance have sbc global/ameritech/at&t as your ISP?

Those of you that cannot access the site ... do you by any chance have sbc global/ameritech/at&t as your ISP?

From Jay

A person can open a Command Prompt window, type the following in that window, and then press the Enter key:

tracert zootekphoenix.com

Then they can type the following in that window and press the Enter key:

tracert ztcdd.org

Based on the results from Cricket, the first command works, showing all of the computers a message has to go through to get from her computer to Phoenix. For the second command, it starts similarly, but then times out. That says it is an ISP problem. I do not know if Firehawke and Ashea are using the same ISP computer. Because of various company mergers, they might be using the same ISP without even knowing it. If they post the results, they should be careful to not show the first and maybe second lines, because those would contain the IP address of their computers, which normally should not be put in posts, since malicious programs could try doing something with those IP addresses. Also, entry 2 might show a time out, but not be a real time out. That can just be their router.

@Cricket---I don't know who the ISP is, since I don't know who the university system uses for that kind of stuff.

I ran the trace just like was posted in Fern's last post...and it came up with Request timed out. The trace ran over a maximum of 30 hops