Vondell's Current Projects

Vondell

There are no conflicts. At least not when using a .DLL-file. Not sure if they work with a simple .ucs file though. Years ago, I created a few tank filters.

No they will not work with a ucs file.

It's only trash cans which are a bit of a pain. I did some experimenting lately. Either you use the ID of the original trash can, and then it works like the original trash can, but with one minor bug: if you have the purchase menu open, and rotate (or maybe buy, not sure about that one), the selection in the purchase menu might revert to the original trash can being selected. If you add a new ID, the trash can isn't emptied. I also think that "hybrids" are possible... further investigation is needed, but it seems that ZT1 kind of stores certain characteristics in a savefile, rather than just relying on the .AI/.ucs file.

Jeff there are lots of working trash cans here at tek made by both cricket and genki. These days we do use the same ids for many things because we ran out at one point and to use new ids for fences and filters would run us out again very soon and this time when we run out there will probably not be more. These days we also do building chains reusing ingame and user made ids. So there is more than one Grand Hotel, Ferris Wheel, ets. The menu rotation problem is a a minor annoyance to running out of ids again.

Vondell: speaking of which, jbl, it's really interesting that you popped in here! Did you ever figure out those conflicts with your old filters? Over the past couple of days I've been going through whatever old threads on the subject of filters I could find and as far as I know you're the only other person who's released tank filters, but I know you ran into some sort of conflict issues with them. Were those ever cleared up?

I could fix jbls filters very easily if he is okay with that. Some of his early buildins also have conflicts like his santa which sells food and gifts which cause problems for guests. You have not looked far enough. I have done filters, tank walls, show tanks, exhibit and decorative fences. Just look through this area. http://www.ztcdd.org/DG/index.php?board=233.0

If new filters are going to be made you will need to co-ordinate with me as there is one thing that has to change per filter and I don't want my released ones conflicted.

Vondell

No problem at all Fern! I'll let you know if I'm moving forward with that but I'm probably gonna wait on that one. (I've seen your walls & fences of course, just missed the filters!) Thanks :)

Vondell

Testing out some new sloped concrete pieces, as well as a couple of new grasses. One's animated!

waterf.png

switchgrass.giftallgrass.gif

(Switchgrass and generalized tall grasslands grass)

Trying to decide whether to make them grasslands-specific (I'm going to be working on a grasslands-based animal project soon and that's a biome that rarely gets any love) or neutral so they can be placed in any exhibit. What do you guys think?

You could always do two sets. One that goes to suitability and one that is just exhibit placeable. Just load it in APE twice so you have different ids.

Animals can be made to like any file including non exhibit placeable things by editing the uca file when you make it.

Slightly off topic, but I can't remember any problems with my old tank filters? Otherwise I wouldn't have released them before fixing it :)

As for the Santa, I remember that one, it was a quickly-made Holiday gift. So I assume there might have been conflicts with other DLL-files or something like that. But I'm planning to create a brand new, more 'functional' version in my new pack at some point (you'll see what I mean :) ).

Those pieces do look great, Vondell!

Vondell

I've been quiet over the past couple of days but I've sure been busy!

Curtains open, I suppose! I'm working on an Aldabra Giant Tortoise. I'm still somewhat of an amateur at modeling in Blender and I've never rigged or animated a model. That's what this project is for! I want to establish a workflow that I can use (and share) to create, rig, animate and render animals for ZT1 creation purposes.

These are inevitably going to end up image-heavy posts, but I think it'd be neat to have you guys "along for the ride".

turtle.png

fish.png

edge2.png

turtlw.png

leg_holes.png

somethin.png

onesie.png

SOMETHING.png

good.png

image.png

Still working! :) Hoping to start UV mapping and texturing tonight.

Here's a test render at ZT1 render settings:

00i0i_91_Yjv_FZCL3_D_600x450.png

Inevitably I'm going to have to make it slightly smaller before everything's all said and done because right now it would appear slightly oversized ingame. (You can see the scale in the images, the green walls in the 3D view are 2x2 ZT units tall/wide in the render. That's no issue whatsoever though since I'm working with the model in 3D, I'm just working at a size where I can see a little higher detail on the render.

I'll keep you guys updated on this one!

Looks like we're trying to accomplish exactly the same thing! I'm very curious to see more of your work (mostly statues, and of course also animals) in ZT1! It's great to see you're using the exact same tools as well, although I'll gladly admit that you seem to be more talented - you're definitely adding more detail and you've figured out a few more things :)

I hope share some of your skills/knowledge, most specifically the part of getting the proper renderings (angles) and how to export them as (I suppose) .PNG files? I'd love to do it your way: first making an object (essentially turning my Dingo animal into a statue first), then attempting an animal. It would be interesting to have some more documentation on that process, keep up the great work, looking forward to more of your creations/screenshots!

Small suggestion: maybe think of a very different, soft background color for the turtle rendering, when you show off a great little creature like that? :)

Vondell

Yep! One of the reasons I'm doing this tortoise is so I can get a feel for each step of the process, so I can share them with you guys.

Just finished the body UV mapping/textures, finished UV mapping the shell as well but I just put a quick and rough texture on it, I'll revisit the shell mesh next and add in some scales/bumps/etc.

night.png

The little details of this part of it won't really be seen much at all at pixel size, but I figure if I'm gonna make an animal I ought to just go in fully. (Plus I'll have something nice to actually do an Animal Info screen render with)