Vondell's Current Projects

Vondell

• 3 months later...
Vondell

hey all! i'm back and just got my account re-validated after the forum upgrade! looks new around here.

i've been going through my folders, and does anyone want to try and configure this thing? it's a tank-placeable edge piece that would hug two quarter tiles of the tank edge and create an illusion that the sand blends into the bare cliff. and if i'm thinking about it right, it would only need these two image assets, one for the lighter side of the cliff and one for the darker side**, and since it blends into the cliff face it doesn't need to be different heights. having it continue to the edge in the forward direction takes care of where they meet at outward corners, and the curved edge overlaps at inward corners.

smooth_tank_floor.gif

smooth_tank_floor_light.pngsmooth_tank_floor_dark.png

i don't have much time to test it ingame at the moment, but i've had the asset done for years just sitting there. all it needs is positioning and configuring. could be cool for more natural setups, and since the colors are matched from the dry sand and cliff textures, it could also be placeable on land to blend cliffs outside tanks too. if you want sand next to them at least.

i think i've got a good idea of how they'll need to be positioned, but sometimes the game surprises me with getting rotations just right. all the work from here is just in getting it fit in right so it tiles correctly.

smooth_tank_floor_ex_left.pngsmooth-tank-floor-ex-right.png

smooth_tank_floor_example.png

smooth_tank_floor_example_grid_2.png

smooth_tank_floor_example_grid.png

**EDIT: hold up, i am thinking about it wrong! they won't overlap, since ZT objects can't be placed over each other ... so unless it could be configured as a tank wall (?) i'd need one inner corner piece and one outer corner piece ... i'll be back shortly!

**EDIT: ok, here we go: one full tile inner corner piece and one outer corner piece that could either be a full tile or a quarter tile.

smooth-tank-floor-inner-corner.pngsmooth-tank-floor-outer-corner.png

smooth_tank_floor_edge_innercorner_transsmooth_tank_floor_edge_outercorner_trans

**EDIT: actually ... the outer corner piece isn't strictly necessary. i don't think with the two edge tiles and the inner corner tile you'd ever see an outer corner that wouldn't already be covered by one of the others. sorta hard to wrap my mind around without testing it. but there's the asset if it ends up being useful.

anyway, whichever combination works out, i've attached the files. if anybody would like to take a shot at working on the configuration, and/or adapt it for any other purpose, it's all yours to try. could be cool!

glad to see everybody. i'll be checking in a little more often than i have been this coming season! best wishes everybody!

smooth-tank-floor-ex-right.pngsmooth tank floor ex left.pngsmooth-tank-floor-inner-corner.pngsmooth-tank-floor-outer-corner.png

smooth_tank_floor_light.pngsmooth_tank_floor_dark.pngsmooth_tank_floor_edge_innercorner_transparent.pngsmooth_tank_floor_edge_outercorner_transparent.png

Vondell

yeah. i think the scenery approach wouldn't be too intrusive, and that way they could be paired with multiple kinds of clear tank walls.

It's complicated what to pick. IMHO Fence would be best; since object would heavily influence the amount of free space in the tank, which might make animals unhappy. Downside is that you'd indeed need a lot more pieces, or just base it on an existing tank wall. Then again, you'd need a larger border on the outside of the tank wall.

Vondell

yeah. now i'm thinking about what kinds of spatial tricks you could do with fully configured tank walls ... but no projects that ambitious for me for a while unless it's one of the ones i already started. :P

EDIT: like these concrete walls from the first post in this thread, maybe! i still don't have those all set up.

Preview.png

rungs.png

waterf.png

I second JBL89's suggestion.  I would love more choices for covering the cliff surfaces, especially with angled tops.  Your concrete walls are very attractive.