Vondell's Current Projects

Vondell

Z.Z.

" May need to reach out and coordinate with Fern for that one. "

Fern is already working on a filter for me, dont want to overload her with more :)

" It's actually quite easy if you start from the original's filter files (or one of the released ones). "

Everything after that completely confused me.

I would need a step by step instruction to do this.

Right now I can make rocks, foliage and scenery, Im working on being able to make shelters but I still dont get much of it, just copied stuff from one of Crickets shelters, havent tested it yet.

I see a lot of things in that screenshot that I am interested in, yes indeed.

That filter looks like an awesome idea, though. Would it be cheeky of me to ask for the graphic files?

Vondell

sure! if you wanna experiment with them or reuse them or parts of them for anything, feel free. that goes for all my graphics, there's an attachment somewhere back in this thread with png copies of pretty much everything I had done up to that point. It'd honestly be cool to see people tweak and build off them if anyone ever has any ideas.

compact tank filter graphics.zip

I was thinking it might be a nice little project for today to write up a short step-by-step tutorial and see if I can get your filter working.

It seems only 10-15 mins to get it working anyhow, then some more to write the tutorial.

Update: had some delay since I needed to fix some graphic stuff (more than 255 colors and I got my own way of taking care of that); need to to some minor rotation fixing as well. Anyhow, currently having the working filter in the background and working on a write-up of the process while testing if it works as expected. I'll publish it soon. But let's all be thankful to Vondell for providing the graphics. :)

Update 2: seems like the rotation fixing is not going smoothly. But I've discovered why. The size of this particular filter messes up things. To see a particular feature of the (original) tank filter: create a tank, then try to place (but do not click) the filter on any side of the tank filter. If you pay attention, you see an interesting feature: the tank filter's animations turn as needed. So the small border is always aligned to the tank.

Now, when I try to do this with Vondell's tank filter, it works too... But! For some reason it even works when further away from the tank. If you leave some space in between (half a tile) rather than place it right next to the tank, it still works (I tried the money cheat to make the tank murky, it still cleaned. The screenshot below is not bad rotation fixing. After placing the working filter, I could still place rocks).

Based on this finding, I'd say it's best to keep tank filters on 1 entire tile (or just maybe the behavior is slightly different if we go for a filter which is only a quarter of a tile) rather than half a tile.

filter.png

Update 3: tutorial can be found below. Also, if anyone's interested, I got the filter above working, but it's on 2x2 (so full square) instead.

It was very surprising too. I thought I had mixed up the offset at first, hence I checked it with the rocks you see. But for some reason, you can place it where you see it in the picture or actually next to the tank.

Another observation (also for the regular Marine Mania tank filter): why does the maintenance guy just hammer in the air, quite far from the tank filter :uglyhammer:

Oooh, @jbl89is it alright to ask for that file? Saves me having to compile it and I'd also like to dissect it haha

I've chose not to question the logic of staff members. Whether a maintenance guy runs out of an enclosure and does a complete loop to fix a fence he could have done on the inside, or a tour guide travels across the entire park to show guests an exhibit that leads them all to be hungry, thirsty and tired in the process, I don't question it. The game has it's... ways, charming but utterly baffling ways.

I sent that version to Vondell, but there seems to be a minor hiccup when the files got packaged. Sorting that out with him right now, will share - if Vondell gives permission - when it works as expected (full tile version though, so there's just some space on one side of the tile)

Niiice, I'm looking forward to that! The base filters are a little janky and move too comically for my liking, sometimes. The modern one looks beautiful.

That's how I feel about the in-game filters.  I'm looking forward to this one.