I hacked a Zoo Tycoon 1 map to be 233×233

Gymnasiast

On 8/14/2024 at 2:23 AM, Fern said:

Part of that will depend on your computer. There are a lot of animations in ZT and as you fill a zoo it can slow the game down considerably. I know some that can't use the ingame large maps for this reason. But they are using older machines.

makes sense, what counts as an older machine with regards to a 2001 game?

On 6/13/2023 at 3:22 AM, Cricket said:

You should check out my $1 Decorative Picket Utility Fence by Cricket.  I made it specifically for the purpose of measuring map areas.  At first, I used it to determine exhibit sizes.  Then I started using it with the ZA map editor to place the entrance in the middle (give or take a tile or two, depending on the base map used).  Each fence section costs $1 so there's no extra math required!  :tongue:

I love what you've done so far.  I hope to test-drive your map later this week! 

backing this recommendation, since getting the $1 fence i've used it so much for planning and measuring, it's absolutely priceless in utility 

• Like 1

Goosifer
6 hours ago, bonobo said:

makes sense, what counts as an older machine with regards to a 2001 game?

If you have access to a potato you can probably max out the recommended game specs: https://gamesystemrequirements.com/game/zoo-tycoon

That said, it's a 32 bit game designed for computers circa late 90s to 2000, so it's not optimized for newer computers that can handle more. Your mileage may vary.

• Haha 2

On 8/15/2024 at 10:51 PM, Goosifer said:

If you have access to a potato you can probably max out the recommended game specs

:animated-smileys-laughing-273:
i do have access to a potato XD
i'll give a bigger zoo a go once this current "small" one is finished and report back if it has trouble!