Just a little abomination (An eldritch project by Giganotus)

Giganotus

Giganotus

So in the 15 years I've been off this site, I've honed my skills as an artist. When I was younger I'd mod in Pokemon using sprites from various Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games, but I am not longer constrained! I can now draw my own monstrosities.

Ever wanted to put an eldritch abomination into your zoo? No? Well that's great because it's not done yet! But I am working on it!

So far I've just got a concept art going (which I've attached). I'm not really much of an animator most of the time, but what better way to improve in that than to try animating something? Especially something where the animations are supposed to be wonky!

I plan to fine-tune the design, work out some animation ideas, what kind of environment the creature would like, and a name, but I wanted to share the idea and get some input/ideas from others!

abomination.png

• Love 1

Savannahjan

He looks creepy cool!  It would be fun to have that guy crawling around in an exhibit.

• Love 1

Goosifer

Ohh that looks sick! I love games with this level of stylized horror like Doom and I'd even say Hades. Are you planning to use Blender or are you drawing the frames by hand?

• Love 1

Giganotus
8 hours ago, Goosifer said:

Ohh that looks sick! I love games with this level of stylized horror like Doom and I'd even say Hades. Are you planning to use Blender or are you drawing the frames by hand?

Well I don't have Blender, so for now at least I plan to try it by hand! But who knows. Maybe I'll give Blender a try. I think I've tried it in the past but got overwhelmed by all the things you could do with it. Maybe now is a good time to finally sit down and learn it!

• Like 2

Goosifer

If you do feel free to ask if you get stuck!  Plenty of people using Blender to make ZT sprites these days. 

Truly_happy

I think you'll want to start with something that has some sort of symmetry. This animal is fun to dream-up and draw in 2D but a nightmare to mesh and animate. Any other ideas?

Truly_happy

By the way, if you want a really simple tool to get started meshing, try Wings 3D. I love the program but you would still have to learn Blender as you can't animate in Wings. Just a thought ...

Giganotus
16 hours ago, Truly_happy said:

I think you'll want to start with something that has some sort of symmetry. This animal is fun to dream-up and draw in 2D but a nightmare to mesh and animate. Any other ideas?

It's definitely an ambitious project of mine lol. Which is why I don't expect to get it done quickly. In the meantime, there's certainly a lot of other, simpler horrors I could make! Weird floating fish things, giant ominous eyeballs, things like that

• Like 3

Truly_happy

Oh, yes, the eyeball would be very simple as it is essentially a sphere! I like the idea of a fish-out-of-water. :hihi1:

Truly_happy

Hey ... how about a snake that's not a snake but a gigantic eye for a head and an optic nerve for a tail?