Pacific Aquatic Foliage by Dr Rick

1 Screenshot

About This File

Pacific Aquatic Foliage by Dr. Rick

Current ztd dates : August 4, 2013 for the Pacific Dulse and the 3 Sea Urchin and August 3, 2013 for the rest

Compatibility : All Game Versions

Guests will enjoy these Pacific Aquatic Foliage. They are meant to go with North Pacific Aquatic animals like Tasmanian Tiger's Ribbon Seal. There are 10 types of foliage included. The Aggregating Anemone is a beautiful sea anemone, also called the clonal anemone. The rare Aleutian Kelp, Aureophycus aleuticus, was first described in 2008 and known only from Alaska and the Central Aleutian Islands. The Dragon Kelp, scientific name Eualaria fistulosa, are floating vertical leaves that form beautiful underwater forests off the coast of Alaska. The Feather Boa Kelp, scientific name Egregia menziesii, is a brown seaweed, typical of the algae in the group phaeophyta. The Flattened Acid Kelp, scientific name Desmarestia ligulata, is a brown seaweed typical of the simpler algae in the group phaeophyta. The Giant Green Anemone, scientific name Anthopleura xanthogrammica, is an animal with symbiotic green algae (both organisms benefit), so it likes strong light. The Green Sea Urchin, scientific name Strongylocentrotus droebachiensis, likes cold northern waters and varies in colour from yellow to green. The Pacific Dulse, scientific name Palmaria mollis, is a seaweed, a red lettuce-like member of the Rhodophyta (red algae) also called red ribbon. The Pale Sea Urchin, scientific name Strongylocentrotus pallidus, prefers deep water in real life. The Red Sea Urchin, scientific name Strongylocentrotus franciscanus, prefers sheltered water from 0 to 300 metres deep in real life. There are 3 versions inside each of the 10 ".ztd" files. One version is in the Aquatic area of the Foliage Purchase Menu. This type counts toward the foliage portion of suitability. When placed in a tank, it will show a living plant if the water is deep enough, otherwise it will show a nonliving plant. When placed on water terrain, it will show a living plant. Although it can also be put on land, this version is not meant to be put on land, since it will work differently on land, depending on the version of ZT, due to how MM and CC were made. Another version is decorative, which can be put in any exhibit and does not count toward suitability so that you can add as many as you like to an exhibit. A third version uses just the nonliving graphics, no matter where it is used: on land, on water terrain, or in a tank. This version can be put in any exhibit and does not count toward suitability. This version will work the same on land no matter which ZT version is used.

From Dr Rick:

Taz's ribbon seal is very pretty and, as always, beautifully animated, especially when in tanks within its enclosure. To make a screenshot, I wondered what to use on the bottom of the tank and, rather than being sensible and consulting a suitability guide, I looked on the web. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that quite large areas of the northern pacific where these animals are found are occupied by several different, very colourful, sea urchin species, green, purple, red and pale (pallid), and other areas by an amazing mosaic of kelp forest and a whole range of different beautiful seaweeds. I imagined being able to make a shimmering, colourful mosaic of different organisms across the tanks, and ribbon seals swimming between the fronds of a mixed kelp forest. And that is what I made, and Taz's ribbon seals look even more fabulous than expected as they weave between the laminas (leaf-like fronds) of the kelps.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Can these be placed in the Marine Mania catgeory instead of the Zoo Tycoon catgeory?

And thanks again!