Newest Member
    Sladhued

• SKazoroski
    • bxdczoo
    • Luz21
    • TRIFORCE89

dlupdate vs dupdate

fountain

General curiosity, why are dls for ZTCC put in dlupdate vs dupdate? I know dlupdate comes empty when the game is installed and that's where dls are supposed to go. I keep a few dls in dupate: USA flag, invisible fence ztu Tek, gcblackbeartrash can, and ZTBonus filter.

Savannahjan

I believe that Fern explained this somewhere. The game reads files from one of the folders first, then the other. I think dupdates is read first. I can't remember exactly how that all works, but it can matter if you have files made from the same item; one will overwrite the other. The CC content is stored in dupdates, so if you leave it as is, it eliminates the danger of accidentally deleting one of the CC files when you are moving user-made items in and out. Fern is the final word on this, so hopefully she will give us a recap of the explanation as a refresher.

I was looking for that and I couldn't find it.

From Jay:

It is true that certain folders override other folders, but that is not the reason for the "dlupdate" folder. Before CC, the "Updates" folder was used both for official downloads and for user made ".ztd" files. I believe Blue Fang was worried that some user made things that were made before the official downloads might have the same file names as the official downloads. So for safety, they created the "dlupdate" folder for user made ".ztd" files. Here is a list of the folders that, by default, CC will look in for ".ztd" files:

dlupdate: for user made ".ztd" files
Updates: for official downloads and for official ".ztd" files made for CC
XPACK2/LOC
XPACK2: for official ".ztd" files made for MM
dupdate: for official ".ztd" files made for DD things that were changed for MM
ZUPDATE1: for official ".ztd" files made for original ZT things that were changed for MM
XPACK1/LOC
XPACK1: for official ".ztd" files made for DD
ZUPDATE: for official ".ztd" files containing original ZT things that were changed for DD
loc
ZT's main folder: for official ".ztd" files made for the original ZT and for all ".dll" files

I do not know what loc, XPACK1/LOC, and XPACK2/LOC are for. Maybe they were in case things had to be changed to work in certain countries or for certain computers or Windows versions.

The above folder list is the order that they would override the other folders, with folders higher in the list overriding folders lower in the list. This is controlled by the following line in the zoo.ini file:

path=./dlupdate;./updates;./xpack2/loc;./xpack2;./dupdate;./zupdate1;./xpack1/loc;./xpack1;./zupdate;./loc;.

In my case, I added 2 other folders to that list. I created a folder for hacks, since there are certain hacks I keep available most of the time, and to make it obvious they are hacks. I also created a folder for the files needed to edit maps. So my line in the zoo.ini file is:

path=./mapmaker;./hacks;./dlupdate;./updates;./xpack2/loc;./xpack2;./dupdate;./zupdate1;./xpack1/loc;./xpack1;./zupdate;./loc;.

Even people with MM instead of CC can use the above zoo.ini line, which will allow them to put user made ".ztd" files in a dlupdate folder instead of in the Updates folder, just like those with CC.

- Jay

I vaguely remember the first ZT and you had to go to Blue Fang/Microsoft website and it had corrections to download even for the USA version and new animals which became the endangered animals and the North Africa and Mexico expansion packs. The Dino Digs was released which I did not purchase and waited until the Complete Collection containing the Marine Mania and DD. I gave away my original ZT "kit".

...Ah, the big thrill of changing the color of the soda and candy machines in the original ZT release. Viewing the website interviews with the music composer and graphic artists --if memory serves.

Thank you both for the info!