Zoo Tycoon Beta?

Guest Blacktip Reef Shark

Good question. I know it used to be available on P2P-sites, and I for one did download it at some point (which actually made me buy the game), but I'm afraid I don't have it lingering around anymore...

Savannahjan

I'd like to have a copy of the beta, too. I have seen screens from it, but never had my own copy.

It seems to be the beta that was on "one of the most popular P2P clients" from about ten years ago.

It's the version from which I extracted the binoculars and beta statues.

"Portable"... it wasn't called back then, but yeah, you basically had to extract the rar file to a folder. You can still see the early shapes of lots of things. For instance, the lack of a .ZTD-extension, which is still just .ZIP (exactly the same thing, but more common obviously). I think the .ZTD-extension was only introduced so you could browse for downloads, and to prevent different types of .ZIP-files from being selected by accident (and crashing the game).

Thanks RDingFT!

Btw: I'm pretty sure they weren't publicly available... but were there betas for Dinosaur DIgs and Marine Mania? I know the webmaster of ZooTycoon.nl, the very first one (if I remember correctly), did get his hands on ZT:CC a whole while before it was released, but there were no differences in that version and the final one.

Savannahjan

There isn't much there, but it is really interesting to see how the game images started out. One thing that I really loved is the petting zoo. I like it much better than the final one. I love the animation of the animals, and also the animal cut-outs on the front of the building. It was really cool to see, thank you so much for posting it.

Which items are in the beta version but not in the final version at all?

I thought different terrains, perhaps extra terrains, can't remember well.

Binoculars.

I think there's no sign of the gondola station, zoo keeper station, picnic table....?

Also... maybe the DLL-files reveal more about possible plans too, which were entirely scrapped, in an earlier stage than the unused string references we have in the main game?

Savannahjan

Yes, the terrain mixtures were very interesting. Considering the ease of placement, I wonder how they concluded that having separate squares of individual terrain types was better. I guess it did make the game more challenging, that is until all the suitability guides started to hit the community. There is also one tree that didn't make to the final version, can't remember the name now, but it looks very nice to me.

Cricket

I believe that Fern released some of the Beta items. If you go to the Zoo Tycoon Community Download Directory (see Fern's signature for the link) and search for Beta, you will see these items. They were actually released at the ZT Designer Guild. She 'brought over' the gift shop, rock formations, some scenery buildings, observation areas and some foliage :)