Heather's Zoos

HeatherL

Testing an idea I've had for a long time.  I like to sink my dino exhibits and I have had in the back of my mind an idea for a large aviary, sunken so it could be even taller and hopefully more realistic for flying creatures - real or otherwise.  This took some figuring as the contact point for the aviary roof wasn't where I thought it was.  I thought it was a corner tile, but it's actually the center.

This is actually the beginning of a new test zoo:

image.thumb.jpeg.79bb8648dbb2b2238961be3e10eebc2b.jpeg

• Like 1

The view from the other side:

image.thumb.jpeg.2f115ac38d7ccfe81ddf0de5d4624996.jpeg

• Like 1

I trapped the zookeeper in the stairwell using a combination of the invisible fence and benches to prevent him from scaling the walls.  I often use foliage for this purpose, as well.

On top of the columns, I placed single tiles of various groundcover paths to try to give them a more natural finished look and this allowed me to place "foliage" under the glass roof contact point. The one (I think foxtail fronds) could almost be a nest!

The Dimorphodon shown here are complaining about the steep terrain, but it doesn't seem to affect their happiness & the suitability is in the high 90's.

I use Jay's Cobblestone walls to cover the ugly cliff graphics.  These walls are probably my #1, absolute favorite user made items - I wish they were in a combined pack!

ZooGrammy

Had to get a pictures of this and the information.  This is a wonderful idea!!!

• Thanks 1

Z.Z.

Oh how interesting!

Things like this are exactly why I designed the groundcover paths! :D

So the animals dont mind the path in their exhibit?

Next question, can you place the ceiling pieces on top of the pillars, then remove the pillars and have the ceiling stay where it is?

They do complain about the path, but suitability /happiness are still high.

No, unfortunately, the ceiling goes up & down with the terrain. :-(

Savannahjan

What a novel idea!  If your animals complain about the path, could you close it 'out' of the actual exhibit with the invisible fence?

That occurred to me yesterday while I was at work.  Silly me, of course.  So I tried it as soon as I got home, problem solved.  Also appears to have solved the "terrain is too steep for...So & So" complaint. :-}

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Started a new zoo.  I've laid out all the paths & placed the restaurants.  This is my entry courtyard:

image.thumb.jpeg.d3666c3bde854754a6a7cdafe9bb5e71.jpeg

• Like 1