AlwaysTired

• kenny
    • moobiefoot
    • Luz21
    • Goosifer
    • Kittyfish

Zip

HeatherL

Not sure how to explain this.  In the middle of combing a set of files, the ".zip" part of the file name disappeared. So now I can't rename it ".ztd".  I don't know how this happened, so I can't fix it.  I also don't know what that designation(?) is called, so can't search for help.

Never mind, I found it. :bloos1:

Cricket
4 hours ago, HeatherL said:

Not sure how to explain this.  In the middle of combing a set of files, the ".zip" part of the file name disappeared. So now I can't rename it ".ztd".  I don't know how this happened, so I can't fix it.  I also don't know what that designation(?) is called, so can't search for help.

Never mind, I found it. :bloos1:

Glad you found it, Heather :D  And by the way, that part of the file is called the extension ... but you probably already know that by now :D

• Haha 1

I've done that to many times to count and get the message the file may no be usable blah blah blah....easiest way to fix it is click it once to highlight it then click it again but don't click the second time to fast or the file will try to open and you'll have to start from scratch, on the second click you should get a box around it that will let you rename it so you just add the .zip or .ztd extension to the name again.

I could rename the file anything I want.  But I couldn't change the extension name from zip to ztd.  Apparently, I accidentally un-clicked the show file extensions box.

I was one of the Windows 7 Professional holdouts, so I'm now forced to learn Windows 10....uggh. :groooansmileyf:

I haven't upgraded yet....lol....still on 7 professional

I just did last week.  :imoksmiley: Mostly because Bill-who knows less about computers than I do (!!!)-was panicking every time the "upgrade to Windows 10 or your life will come crashing down" pop up appeared. So far, I hate it.

But, I knew I would hate it since that's what happened a couple of years ago when they tried to automatically "upgrade" me. It didn't take long for me to downgrade back to 7 pro.  I wish I still had that option.

On the one hand, yes, I admit I am very resistant to change.  On the other hand, I've talked to many others who also hate it, including some computer people.  Oh, well...:dunno1:

Cricket

Win10 is really weird at first.  They put things in different places just to confuse us lol.  Once you get used to it, it's not too bad :D

They put a whole lot of unnecessary extras.  Like the download page. Four tabs  full of options.  Does it give me the options I ask for? No, the minute my back is turned, it goes back to sorting the files by newest, last week and a long time ago!!?

Really? Why? What happened to the alphabet?

I want large file icons in horizontal rows, it keeps going back to small icons in a vertical list.  GRRRRR

There doesn't appear to be any way to set it the way I want it permanently. 

And in order to make the download search feature work, I have to keep reloading the page. 

And things are under tabs with names that don't make sense to me.  This is actually the hardest thing about learning computer stuff for me.  The names for things and their locations don't seem logical.

I finally get to where I can maneuver around 7 Pro and they changed the simplest things in 10.  Things that didn't need to be messed with.

I totally agree with you there I got a new laptop not this past christmas but the one before so about 1 1/2 years ago now and I think I might have turned it on about 4 times since I got it. It came loaded with Win 10 and to set things up wanted control panel do you think I could find it easily...not on your life....what a pain in the ass it is. Not to mention all the resources all that extra useless crap uses that could better be spread to stuff that's always used. I haven't even taken the time to load my normal programs on it yet it just sits on a section of my desk and collects dust.....lol

I have 2 Terabyte drive on this system and I am dreading doing the backup of everything I have to before the upgrade. I also have an older internal drive I installed to use for storage. My biggest fear is win 10 not properly recognizing the older drive and not have a backup system Ican use to back up the files on it....I tell ya if there is a way to screw up your computer literacy Bill Gates and Microsoft team will find it and impliment it just to make life miserable for all of us....you watch I'lll finally get around to upgrading which is going to cost a small fortune and I'll have to upgrade again because they'll come out with win 11 or something and screw things up even more then they have already.

• Haha 1

Maybe we can stage revolution.