• Most Online

Thorbjc
    Newest Member
    Thorbjc

• Knol
    • TheOneCalledWaffle

ZT2 won't stay installed.

KTesch

I really need some help with installing ZT2 and the expansions ont my computer which now has Windows Vista on it and I asked for ZT2:EA for Christmas too. I have been trying since Wednesday to install ZT2 and the expansions with no luck. Everything seems fine untill after I've installed ZT2:MM2 and then the Desktop icon disappears, yet the game shows up in Add/Remove Programs so I can at least uninstall it. I've also been trying to install the Addax and this is when I get the error message that ZT2 isn't installed on my computer. Today, I installed the Original ZT2, then ES, then the patch for ES, then AA and MM. I haven't installed the Addax yet as I'm sure it will tell me that ZT2 isn't installed when it is. I've even seen the ZT2 Folder in Program Files. Did/Does anybody else have this problem and what did they do about it?

Kim

Menolly

I had this problem earlier. Go to the ZooTycoon Home page (Main site). Go to Tech Support and follow the links for Vista. I can't tell you how to find or bring the icon forward, myself because someone did it for me. Your game is there, the icon is just hidden.

I can do that, but I won't be able to print anything off right now because my printer isn't hooked back up yet. Thanks everyone.

Well, nothing is working now. I just tried to play MM2 and it came up with a problem and said it'd let me know if there was a solution to it. I guess I won't be getting the new game for Christmas.

I was reading the System Requirements for the games. They didn't have the original Zoo Tycoon 2 listed at all, so I don't know what the requirements are, but I now know which game is causing the problem. It's ES. I used to have Windows XP and got a new computer with Windows Vista on it and ES won't work on Windows Vista according to the System Requrements section, but Zookeeprs Collection, MM2 and the new EA XP's will.

Well now today, AA won't install. My mom thinks she figured out the problem with ZT2 and ZT2:ES. When you get it installed, right click on the icon and then click Properties and click Compatible with Windows XP and that should do it.

Maybe it'd be easier though just to get Zookeeper's Collection, but then I'd have tons of non usable games some of which are scratched to heck.

Kim

I'm suprised about this because,MM2 and EA are meant to be played on vista. Hope you can get this fixed!! (Glad I didn't install Vista on this laptop!!)

Kiwilover and everyone else,

It did finally install for me. What I had to do was install ZT2, then right click the Shortcut icon, click on Properties and choose Run in Windows XP. I did the same for ES, then installed the patch, then the Addax, then installed AA and MM2. The weird part is, it still showed in Properties that it was running in Windows XP. So, if I'd have had to get Zookeepers Collection, I don't know if I'd have had to do the same thing or if they'd have had to work in Windows XP. Ironically, I did have the same problem with Windows XP too at first, but couldn't remember what I had done.

Kim

Savannahjan

Glad you were able to get this sorted out Kim. Daniel and I have run into so many quirks with Vista. He got a game a while ago, Titan Quest, and our computer had the recommended capability to run it. We installed it over and over and over, sometimes it would load but not work, then other times it wouldn't load, it was maddening. Finally, we got it loaded and it would go to menus but then it would crash. I went into the Control Panel and found a setting under Programs/Programs and Features/ "use an older program with this version of Windows"/Program Compatibility Wizard. This is where you can tell Vista to run the game as if it were Windows XP, 200, etc. This actually got Daniel's game going. It still crashes occasionally, but all the features seem to work now. I have not tinkered with the ZT setting because it seems to be working OK as is and I don't want to mess anything up. However, randomly, my game will minimize for no apparent reason. But when I maximize it again, it usually is working OK. I do save my game more frequently now though, just in case.

Jan,

Have you and Daniel ever run into these error messages when trying to install Windows XP versions of games onto Windows Vista: "cannot read from source" and game needs higher elevation? I haven't tried going into the Control Panel and looking under the Programs/Programs Settings section to see if I could get these games to work this way or not.

Kim