• Total Members
    • Most Online

Punki MeT
    Newest Member
    Punki MeT

• Redbaron
    • Goosifer
    • (Admin)Cricket

Why most enclosure fences are just reskins?

VNDragonV2

I noticed how almost everything else in the game can have new models, yet the fan-made fences for animal enclosures always stop at re-skinning the existing fences. Is there any actual reason behind this? Was the need for more variety of fences just not there? Or are there some technical hurdles that I am not aware of?

Savannahjan

Very good question, I'd like to know this myself.

Technical hurdles and time consuming.

The ingame concrete fence has 157 pieces all of which have to be loaded individually. And then rotations done on each piece. And as cricket will tell you doing the rotations on decorative fences is bad enough so that they line up when placed. Just ask her how long it took to do the adobe ones.

Show tanks have over 100 and then there is the portal as well

• Like 3

Savannahjan

Oh my gosh, I had no idea that you had to have 157 pieces for an exhibit fence, it's a wonder we have the ones we do. 

• 1 month later...
Cricket
On 2/20/2021 at 4:09 AM, Fern said:

Technical hurdles and time consuming.

The ingame concrete fence has 157 pieces all of which have to be loaded individually. And then rotations done on each piece. And as cricket will tell you doing the rotations on decorative fences is bad enough so that they line up when placed. Just ask her how long it took to do the adobe ones.

Show tanks have over 100 and then there is the portal as well

I would truly love to have more user-made fences.  However, the rotations can be challenging ... and that's putting it mildly.  :animated-smileys-laughing-291:  Even when you have other fences to 'pattern' your rotations after, you still have to adjust here and there before they line up correctly (or even close enough) in-game.  And that's just for the decorative fences.  The working fences with at least 157 pieces?  Wow, now that's a lot of images.  :tongue:

Speaking for the snowy fence I once created: I just wanted a snowy fence. Recoloring the existing one was indeed least time consuming.

Another reason is probably the so called "rotation fixing" which had to happen with non-recolored fences. With all these different sides and angles (lots more than for a building or even an animal), that would take up a lot more time too. Especially in the early years, proper tools were scarce to do it in a fast way.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Now that I think of it, it would be great if Hendrix's tool for porting animals can be expanded for making fences, since from my understanding it handled the rotations for animals pretty well.

• Like 1

Truly_happy
7 hours ago, VNDragonV2 said:

Now that I think of it, it would be great if Hendrix's tool for porting animals can be expanded for making fences, since from my understanding it handled the rotations for animals pretty well.

I hope you're on to something there. I'd like to see more unique fences.

• Like 1

VNDragonV2
3 hours ago, Truly_happy said:

I hope you're on to something there. I'd like to see more unique fences.

Same thing. Too bad I probably won't have time to look into it myself until September.