asd294
    Newest Member
    asd294

• nana_nytowl
    • Luz21

.PAL files

LapisLazuli77

LapisLazuli77

Well, here we go again asking about how to edit files.

First, would anyone happen to have blank versions of the animal habitat backgrounds(and maybe even transparent background-less versions of the animals themselves)?

Second, is there a tool or anything to edit the .pal files used by the info plaques and animal menu icons? The recommended apps of GIMP, Medibang, etc. don't work, and neither do online file viewers, because it's apparently all just a bunch of binary and code mishmash that can't be translated

Z.Z.

I actually have the menu backs, but for some reason the site isnt letting me upload them for you.

I put in a message to admin, hopefully it will get fixed soon.

• Thanks 1

There are several you can choose from. With icons it depends how you are loading them. If you use Zoot you use one size and with Ape a slightly different size.

Look through the Utility download areas at the sites.

Browse through this thread http://www.ztcdd.org/DG/index.php?board=235.0

Look for the words "icons" and "plaques"

It is complicated editing the pal file. You can read about Rick's attempts  http://www.ztcdd.org/DG/index.php?topic=5461.0

Z.Z.

Ok, now its letting me load the image.

These may be a little  larger than the actual in game menu size, I use them in APE which automatically makes them the right size in game.

I only use ZOOT to adjust the object height, so I have no idea what happens to them if ZOOT is the program used to create the menu icons.

I use the select tool just inside the black outline, copy, and paste into the individual menu file for APE.

The white pixel at the top left of the menu back is the color APE ignores when creating the menu icon, so if you are making white items, you will need to make the whitest color be 254 red, blue and green so the APE program does not ignore it.

There are four menu backs per terrain, for North East, South East, South West, and North West menu icon views of:

Aquatic

Arctic

Coniferous

Deciduous

Desert

Grassland

Highland

Marine

Rainforest

Savannah

Neutral

image.png.1ae8962662d50d2c79d40710ca5166af.png

• Thanks 1

.PAL only contains the colors; the file without an extension is actually the graphic. The .PAL file contains the color palette.

I'd forget about APE altogether. ZOOT was my favorite tool, and of course there's ZT Studio which handles it even better but is less known (full disclosure, I created it a couple of years ago).

• Like 1