• kenny
    • Goosifer
    • (Admin)Savannahjan

Digital copy of ZTCC

Savannahjan

Savannahjan
Copied from Facebook group:  ZT Biome

Jack Kerry
There's a very easy way to get a copy of Zoo Tycoon 1!
The game is in a category of games known as 'abandonware'
As abandonware, there is no longer any copyright enforcement on it whatsoever, and though it technically remains an 'ophan work' IP wise (and so still technically has protections under international IP law), it won't be enforced or recognised by anyone. Such works are legally preserved by museums and such all the time with no consequences.
There's a website called MyAbandonWare which acts as one such 'museum' of abandonware games, and allows people to download them for free. If a game still has a legal way to purchase and play it, it will have a link to that instead of a download button, so anything you can download there is totally safe to do so with a clean conscience.
Here's the link to Zoo Tycoon Complete collection: https://www.myabandonware.com/.../zoo-tycoon-complete...
They also have Zoo Tycoon 2 on there if you still wanna try that! Although it's only the base game, as the Ultimate collection is not yet abandonware, as it is still available to buy on amazon (as evidenced in your post)
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Zarawatto

I got a physical copy of ZTCC back on the day... My dad bought it for my bday when I got 11yo and I played with the CD so many years! I was even seeking a new laptop with a CD-ROM so I could use my old CDs when I reached University... Until that laptop crashed and I forgot the CD inside it when I toke it to service... The guy who was fixing it CASUALLY told me that the laptop was a total loss but we might sell it to his workshop (pretty cheap tbh) just for the hardware 🧐🧐 But when I told I was missing my CD inside the laptop, he told he found nothing 💻💻 I never felt that scammed... Modern laptops have no CD-ROM entry, so my soul came back to my body the day I got a digital copy of ZTCC, but I will never forget the day I got robbed by a computer technician 😿😿

I do not use FB often, but I'm also member of ZT Biome Postingn so I saw that topic this week... I'll seek at that site for a copy of ZT2 😼😼

• 1 month later...

If ZTCC is downloaded this way is it stored in my computer or on a thumb drive so I would not have to use the physical CD to play?  (I assume this copy would not have some bonus animals such as the sable antelope.)

fountain

Zarawatto
2 hours ago, fountain said:

(I assume this copy would not have some bonus animals such as the sable antelope.)

I tried this digital copy and I had no issues. Sable Antelope is, in fact, the only animal I had to re-download, but it's not hard to find at all... 

As almost all modern computers have no CD-ROM, to run the .daa files (which cointain the CD info), a software like DaemonTools or PowerIso is needed. I have the last one with no troubles :3

• Thanks 1

Savannahjan

Could you replace the .exe file with the 'no CD ZT hack' file to boot up?  I have used this file in my game for 16 or 17 years to keep from having to use the actual disc.  Just wondering for when the time comes that I have a computer with no CD drive.

• Like 1