• strider213
    • Fern
    • (Trustee)Menolly
    • Luz21
    • Magpie

Tried combining mods - game crashes just before loading

FuzzyPickles42

FuzzyPickles42

Hello everyone, I hope this is a known problem and one of you can help me.

After hitting the inevitable .ztd limit, I tried my hand at combining mods, specifically putting all of Khaydar's animals into one file. I followed the most up-to-date instructions I could find and everything seemed to be going fine, but just as the game was reaching the end of the initial load screen, it consistently crashed.

I backed up all my files so no harm was done, but does anybody know what's going on? Has this happened to others?

Is there a limit to how big a .ztd file can be before the game can't load it anymore? That would be my first guess as to the cause of this problem, Khaydar has a lot of animals.

Thank you in advance, I've found this community thusfar to be very kind and helpful.

Cricket

Without seeing exactly what you have, its hard to tell.  I know there is a limit to how many items can be displayed on the menus.  If you combined all of Khaydar's animals, my guess is maybe there are too many to display in the animals menu.

This is just a wild guess.  I bet Fern or someone else could verify or deny this.

FuzzyPickles42
53 minutes ago, Cricket said:

Without seeing exactly what you have, its hard to tell.  I know there is a limit to how many items can be displayed on the menus.  If you combined all of Khaydar's animals, my guess is maybe there are too many to display in the animals menu.

This is just a wild guess.  I bet Fern or someone else could verify or deny this.

It might be, but I'm not sure. When all of the animals are separate they show up in the game just fine, but I did have to take a few others out to get the game to run without the "Can't open a scenario or load a save" problem that comes with too many ZTDs.

I have all of Borsato and Khaydar's animals, a significant number of Hawkkeye's animals (I'm trying to combine the files specifically so I can fit the rest in lol), and then some, so by your estimates, am I getting close to the limit? What's the specific number?

From Jay: I cannot give specific advice concerning the problem the person is having. If there was no crash with the individual ztds but is with the combined, I have to assume they did not combine things correctly. I do not know if they tried the combining topic that is at ZKL using 7-zip. Once again, I hope you have sweet and wonderful dreams.

ZKL is Zookeepers Lounge http://www.lunamanar.com/zklounge/

FuzzyPickles42
15 hours ago, Fern said:

From Jay: I cannot give specific advice concerning the problem the person is having. If there was no crash with the individual ztds but is with the combined, I have to assume they did not combine things correctly. I do not know if they tried the combining topic that is at ZKL using 7-zip. Once again, I hope you have sweet and wonderful dreams.

That set of instructions is different from the one I tried to follow, I'll try using it tonight and see if it will do the trick.

FuzzyPickles42
5 hours ago, Fern said:

I suspect if you combine all animals by Hawkkeye, Khaydar and Borsato you will go over the animal menu limit. 

You really think so? Obviously they've both made tons of animals, but, from what I've heard, the limit is 3000. Would it really collectively be 3000?

FuzzyPickles42
21 hours ago, Fern said:

I followed this guide instead, and it seems to be working perfectly! Thank you so much, you're a lifesaver!