• redwolf
    • (Designer)HENDRIX
    • Hawkkeye666
    • SkeletonKing69
    • kenny

Windows 11 users, please help

Savannahjan

Savannahjan

One of our new members is having trouble getting ZTCC installed on a Windows 11 computer.  If any you of have any tips or advice, please share.  Thanks!

Z.Z.

Windows 11 flat refused to install Zoo Tycoon on my new computer, the language is just too different for 11 to comprehend anymore, so I had the computer guy install my old hard drive with Windows 10 on it into the new computer, so now I use old hard drive with W10 on it for Zoo Tycoon, Stronghold, Paint, Internet, etc, and I use the new 2TB hard drive with Windows 11 on it for World Of Warcraft, and just switch between the two.

Wish I could be more help, but the best advice I have is go back to Windows 10 or earlier.

• Thanks 1

nana_nytowl

Z.Z.

You can use both hard drives on one computer? (2 operating systems?)

:post-40-1236625287:

Z.Z.
15 minutes ago, nana_nytowl said:

You can use both hard drives on one computer? (2 operating systems?)

Yes, my new computer contains the new two terabyte hard drive with Windows 11 on it, and my old hard drive from my old computer with Windows 10 on it.

I needed a new computer because World of Warcraft out grew my old computer, but Windows 11 sucks rocks and wont install any of my older games, including Zoo Tycoon.

So I sent the new computer and the old computer back to the computer guy and asked him to install my old hard drive in the new computer so I could switch back and forth between the two of them.

So now it starts up on the old Windows 10 hard drive, because I do all that stuff in the morning, then when Im ready to play WoW, I restart the computer, the prompt comes up, and I switch to the new Windows 11 hard drive.

And I absolutely hate Windows 11, the next time I have to get a new computer, Im going back to Macintosh.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I've somehow stumbled into this thread a few weeks after I've got my Windows 11 setup. Hopefully I can still be helpful. The way I got it working was by downloading the ISO version of the game (myabandonware.com or archive.org I think), unzip,  right click on the disc 1 file, and click on the option that says 'Mount'.

Screenshot2023-05-08071114.png.4e6faa650c6d4e6b69d58e126efde7af.png

It will launch the game as though it were an actual disc running in a drive. Every time you restart your computer you'll need to mount it again to play. If it fails to launch even after mounting, you'll need to click on the setup.exe in the directory that opens and then it will work as expected again.

If you downloaded the ZTCC version, you'll have two ISOs like I do in the image. You'll install disc 1 first by mounting, and likewise do the same with disc 2 after. You'll mount disc 2 from then on.

I can write a better guide if anyone has any trouble.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Cricket

My laptop runs Win10.  I keep avoiding the messages to upgrade to Win11.  I'm in no big hurry.  If it gets to the point where Win10 is no longer supported, I guess I'll have no choice.  I will keep these notes handy for when that happens!  Very useful info!  :jump1:

• Like 2
  • Love 1

So Eric this is a way I wouldn't have to keep disc 1 of ZTCC in my computer all the time?

My adult son, few years ago, tried put it on my hard drive. It didn't work but he was able to put disc 2 MM & DD on the hard drive. :billybassemo2:

The idea of having a computer solely to zoo making is a great pipe dream :studsmatta:          :snapoutofit:   

• Like 1

Savannahjan

My son has a Windows 7 laptop that was reworked a few years ago.  It was originally property of some government agency, which had lots of blocks and hidden drives and such on it.  I don't know how my brother ended up with it, and then gave it to Josh, but it could barely run because the hard drive was almost full, but you couldn't see or get to anything that might be there.  A crackerjack tech was able to wipe it, though he said there was no way to actually get 'in' to it.  He installed Windows 7 from an old disc he had.  It was a Cadillac for it's time and has wireless internet and lots' of ports, plus a CD drive.  I have been trying to coax that lovely piece of machinery from my son for years now.  I've made promises of a spiffy new laptop, TV with Roku and just all sorts of bribes; no luck.  But if I ever do get that gem, it will be ZT designated.  :flirtyeyess3:

• Like 2
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, fountain said:

So Eric this is a way I wouldn't have to keep disc 1 of ZTCC in my computer all the time?

Yep! I found I did not need the no-disc exe patch doing it this way. By mounting the ISO on Windows 11, your computer thinks it's running on an optical drive.

Disc 1 probably didn't work because you already had disc 2 installed, so your computer wanted nothing to do with the little guy. :(

• Like 2
  • Haha 1