• Total Members
    • Most Online

asd294
    Newest Member
    asd294

• Mina.said

Contest Zoo Maps

fountain

Are there contest zoo maps that could be upload to Tek so people could try their hands using contest zoo map?

I know there are some here in Tek Maps download category but it would fun to try some others if their creators are willing :wavesmile:

• Like 1

Jan I have quite a few of them from here and various sites. I could load them at DD if that would save some room.

Fountain are you meaning just the maps? Or the downloads as well?

I have often thought of using the maps and criteria but choosing my own selection of files.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would so prefer only the maps and Criteria Fern Like you I like to pick my own selection of files

• Like 2

On 6/6/2023 at 12:56 AM, Fern said:

Jan I have quite a few of them from here and various sites. I could load them at DD if that would save some room.

Fountain are you meaning just the maps? Or the downloads as well?

I have often thought of using the maps and criteria but choosing my own selection of files.

I guess both but separate files as in one could choose whether or not to use the downloads, provided it is agreeable to access the downloads if that makes sense.

I appreciate the consideration :worship: of you, Fern, and Jan.

• Like 1

I think I would rather just list the files rather than upload them since both Tek and DD are limited in size of the site, etc especially where DD is concerned. Jan would have to decide about Tek but many of the files would be here and that would be doubling up on them.

• Like 1

Would Nexus Mods be an option? When I first joined I know I offered up the Northern Skie's collection of files from before I had to close down the forum, but it's been so long I forgot how precious server space can be. There's some Zoo Tycoon 2 files hosted on there so it's one of the options I'm exploring. Might also make a good home for some niche ZT1 stuff like .zoo files to relieve some server space. Just a thought!

Probably not since now I think about it. Files from other sites would not make for happy campers/site owners. I know I really prefer DG files to mostly be a DG and ZA would not be happy at all. Nor would ZKL. Those files currently shared by sites were usually permission granted ones.

Sites are not cheap as Jan and I can both tell you.

Oh I'm aware. I was very young when I ran NS and paid server costs from my banquet server wage. 😂 I was in way over my ahead.

DG/DD are my retirement fun but I can't afford https only http.

It is not like any of the ZT sites make money since they do not sell anything.

Savannahjan

I've been thinking about adding a secondary site for file storage.  Google drives might be an option; some of our animal designers keep their content there.   We are actually supposed to have unlimited space, but I know that's not really the case.  Sometimes sending a bulk mail causes host whining, wailing and gnashing of teeth.  I regularly get messages from our host that we really need to upgrade to a designated server.... at over 6 times what we are paying now. 

We are now at around 80% of our capacity for the server to run regular backups, which is critical for us.  Tek is huge now and takes forever to manually backup, and it costs a lot to have those files restored.  We could add another small server plan, but we can only run one copy of our board software or we would have to buy another pricey license.  We are OK for now, but after our anniversary we will have to figure something out.  A lot of content has been deleted over the years to save space, and it's getting harder to decide what must stay and what can grudgingly go.  

• Like 2