• Total Members
    • Most Online

JT12
    Newest Member
    JT12

• Goosifer

Zoo tycoon 2 cut content?

dinorhino

As zoo tycoon 2 was being made, we KNOW that Blue Fang created some things that aren't in the final game... they even included it in one of their screenshots...

1) Find the box for zoo tycoon 2: Endangered species (assuming you own it).

2) On the back of the box there's three screenshots. Look at the bottom one (the one with the giraffe).

3) Look in the bottom right corner. You can see a red car that can't be found in the finished game!

This has left me wondering... could the hidden content still be in the game, but just hidden within the game's files? Now let's say we find some 'hidden' animals... could we bring them back into the game? This isn't as far-fetched as it may sound; many games have unfinished objects, sometimes whole levels that the developers didn't put in the final game, but left on the disc anyway (usually by accident). Once found these have been brought back with some simple modding.

Some examples:

Fallout 2 had characters, weapons and even whole areas of the game cut out. These have been restored by mods.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_2_cut_content

Its sequel, fallout 3, was released only last year and that still had cut content:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Fallout_3_cut_content

It took five years to restore all the cut content in KOTOR 2: when restored it adds about 25% more to the game!!!

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/10...tor-ii-data.ars

Half-life 2, one of the best-selling games of all time, still had quite a lot of stuff buried away in the files.

http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Cut_Content

And dinosaur zoo building game Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis had at least 10 different dinosaur species that aren't in the final game:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jurassic_Park...ssing_dinosaurs

That and I'm sure that somewhere, someone's restored some viewing binoculars that were cut from the final version of zoo tycoon 1. So what does everyone think? Could there be cut content in zoo tycoon 2, just waiting to be restored?

Guest ShenTirag

Most of the cut content is not in the game files, I believe. There are some files for a sheep, and I think someone has successfully made that into a working animal, but there isn't really anything more. There is some stuff that was in the Marine Mania BETA that was not released in the retail version, and I think some people have successfully implemented that too.

I have the Marine Mania Beta version, it has a few minor things but nothing great. There's loads of glitches, of course, with it only being a BETA, like that a few non-swimming animals are tank placeable and stuff.

And I never really paid attention to that red jeep. It looks a lot different from the Wrangler or Commander.

Hmm... has anyone found any records of animals that aren't in the final game but are mentioned in the game files? Not the animal itself, but just any mentions of them.

To be honest I doubt there would be a blue whale... I don't think you could really have one of those in a zoo.

That said you couldn't have a tyrannosaurus rex in a zoo either but hey they're in it.

Zt1 has humpback, sperm, and bowhead whales, which would be impossible to keep in a zoo, considering the Bowhead is the fith or so largest species of whale, the humpback and sperm are still really big too.

Did they cut the double-tusked narwhal varient? I've heard it's very rare, or it may not even be in the game! I've tried, I once placed over 100 on a single map and no double tusk.

Click here

Not a graphical error, as it may seem at first! If you look closer towards the head you will see the beginning of the second tusk. The fact they put this on their official website made people angy, because they thought it was in the game, and I've looked and looked but no luck finding one.

Nope, the double-tusked narwhal is in the game. I had one the first time I built a narwhal exhibit. I had no idea it existed until then, so I was in for a big shock when this two-tusked narwhal came swimming at me! I laughed at first because I thought it was a glitch, but after picking it up, crating it etc. nothing happened, so I let it swim about after taking a few pictures.

Sadly this was about two-three years ago so I no longer have the screenshots :( But they DO exist! I've had one! I wish I still had the screenshots...