Newest Member
    Punki MeT

• Redbaron
    • Goosifer
    • (Admin)Cricket

Are we earthquake proof?

ZooGrammy

Professor Paul

Nowhere is truly earthquake proof, you're just more likely to get them in you are near faultlines in the earth's crust or where two tectonic plates meet.

There servers usually stand somewhere well protected since so many companies depend on them they cannot afford having their main server be broken down. And if not then there is always the backup.

If I myself am earthquake proof??

No idea, just know that I have to stand in a doorway or run out in the open And I keep backups of my PC and childhood pics at my sisters house in cause of tragedy. And my bank keeps track of all my important documents. There isn,t much more one can do is there?

Savannahjan

:help: Well, I think it's been proven that the site isn't earthquake proof. :tongue:

But depending on where we live, we can be vulnerable for natural disasters. We don't have many serious faultlines near us, but there are some of concern in Alabama. We have a ton of strip mining areas and sinkholes open up spontaneously, so no matter how well constructed your house is, if the ground opens up, it's gonna go down. Our area is more in danger or tornadoes, which have wiped whole communities off the map. The new high school in Enterprise Alabama was just dedicated; the old one was totally destroyed by an F-5 tornado, 8 students died.

So what can we do? My home was built in the mid 50s, when post-war construction was at it height. These houses are really well made, with solid materials, so I guess we are as safe as possible. We live on the crest of a small mountain, which naturally redirects wind currents, so that makes us safer too, and not really possible to flood.

People just don't think about these things when they choose a place to live; usually it's close to family or work or where we have always lived. If everyone could do research and move only to a typpically safe area, these things would not be such a problem. I believe in the future, a migration of that sort will happen.

ZooGrammy

Interesting thoughts. I have felt earthquakes (little ones) here in Lawton as we are on a fault line. My daughter in Nicaragua told me that they had a 5. + last week. There is an interesting web site on the lastest earthquakes. More happen than we know about.

Anyway, I was just being silly as I know that we aren't here at Tek.

After all " There is no place to run; no place to hide".

Menolly

We aren't that far from the New Madrid fault, which had a 3.5 shake yesterday. Nothing is usually felt in my area, but if a large one comes it could be devastating. I think we are more concerned for tornadoes than earthquakes.

We have evacuation drills at the Underground where I work, but being in a underground facility who knows what would happen if one hit.