Sladhued
    Newest Member
    Sladhued

• TRIFORCE89
    • Truly_happy
    • (Admin)Savannahjan

Guests will not use the tunnels

fountain

I've attached jpg of my current zoo where the guests come in and are supposed to go down to the waterfall-lined area then into the tunnels under the whale sharks for a dramatic entrance to the zoo. However, guests are coming in, then they climb the grassy banks and enjoy a walk through the flowers that dot the space between the tank exhibts and the zoo exterior wall. Then they walk between the Hawaiian Monk seal exhibit and the whale shark exhibit to the paths.

I've tried putting the tunnel signs at one corner, then move the signs to another corner and so on. I tried each of the 4 corners of the grid but the guests seem to ignore the tunnels. --They can't all be claustrophobic.

Any ideas?

fountain

post-21902-130802224052_thumb.jpg

post-21902-130802269762_thumb.jpg

post-21902-13080227701_thumb.jpg

Guest have to have a way to go around tunnels, bridges, etc. They will not go back through, so placing the tunnels at the entrance , although nice, will not make them happy. Your guests will come in but never go back out.

The tunnels are buildings in that guests need a reason to use them ie hunger, thirst. Haven't looked to see exactly what the configuring is. You have them at the entrance so since guests arrive not requiring anything at this point, they are not going to use them until they need something that a building would provide.

Guest have to have a way to go around tunnels, bridges, etc. They will not go back through, so placing the tunnels at the entrance , although nice, will not make them happy. Your guests will come in but never go back out.

Oh, dear. And I was so proud of my design.

That explains why some do come back through tunnel on occasion and then wander around in circles, walk up the banks, backtrack down to the entrance several times before they walk around the tanks again.

Thanks for the info.

fountain

The tunnels are buildings in that guests need a reason to use them ie hunger, thirst. Haven't looked to see exactly what the configuring is. You have them at the entrance so since guests arrive not requiring anything at this point, they are not going to use them until they need something that a building would provide.

So what need do tunnels satisfy?

fountain

I am not going to look at them all. But here is what the 6-tile underwater tunnel entrance does.

[satisfies] This is ther reason peeps go there

building

drink

bathroom

This is what changes in their menu

cHungerChange = 50 they get hungrier by 50%

cThirstChange = -20 Less thirsty by 20%

cBathroomChange = -20 I guess they pee a little in their as there need for the bathroom decreases by 20%

cEnergyChange = 50 They get tired by 50%

Personally I feel they could have been done differently but these and the ZA ones were the first of a kind. I think Jay did the Oz tunnel slightly different from these.

The big probem with this type of thing is getting guests to use them and there are limited reasons for a guest to use a building: hunger, thirst, energy, bathroom, gift and fun.

I had no idea. That's quite interesting. That info will help with planning zoos.

Those settings explain why the underwater tunnel restaurant would be popular with zoo guests. Thanks for the info.

Guess it's back to the drawing board :-)

fountain

Your idea is good and looks good. You could move it further back in the zoo as a special area. Then by the time peeps reach it they might be thirsty and use them. Make sure with these you have benches near the exit as they will be "tired". Also make sure there is an alternate route to leave by just in case they refuse to use the tunnels.

I really must revisit some of my old ideas and see what we had in mind since we had some graphics from toodlepops that could be used for this type of thing.

Guest Derek Caulfield

I've been playing around with the tunnels as well, and I found that if I place the guests in a situation where they have to use the tunnels/bridges to go somewhere, they'll just turn around and go home. A resolution to this conundrum would be to use tunnels/bridges sparingly. Make them an option as opposed to a necessity, that way guests won't just turn around and go home. Although I really like this entrance, especially the immersion exhibit with the whale sharks, I would suggest placing a path that goes around it, or reworking the whole thing if you're willing, because it'll cost you guest happiness to leave it the way it is. Guests will have better access to your zoo if you make the tunnels an alternative or an option. But again, this is a cool looking zoo. I hope I get to see it completed.

Savannahjan
cBathroomChange = -20 I guess they pee a little in their as their need for the bathroom decreases by 20%
:risitas6ba0: Maybe that's why guests don't like to go in there.... "Eeew, what is that smell??? I'm not going that way!"