Sladhued
    Newest Member
    Sladhued

• SKazoroski
    • MarkBL20
    • bxdczoo

Animal Lifespan

maximum411

I was wondering if anyone knows what the conversion is from lifespan units in APE to in-game time. I guess it wouldn't be too hard to figure out, but hopefully someone will know it offhand.

Savannahjan

Have you checked the tutorial section?

I don't know if BF tried to match real life concerning lifespan. For the original ZT animals, there are only 6 different cTimeDeath settings: 4320 (8 animals), 6000 (White Siberian Tiger), 6480 (Ostrich), 8640 (19 animals), 12960 (8 animals), and 17280 (11 animals). I am sure real life would have more values. So BF probably set those settings from a relative viewpoint, that certain types of animals or maybe certain size of animals tend to live longer than another certain type or size of animal. Or they might have based some of them on what would make good game challenges. I don't know for sure what those numbers represent. I suspect real seconds, and possibly 10 real seconds equals 1 game day on a powerful enough computer. If that is true, that means the in-game animals live from about 1.2 game years to about 4.7 game years, depending on the animal. But I don't know for sure.

- Jay

I don't know if BF tried to match real life concerning lifespan. For the original ZT animals, there are only 6 different cTimeDeath settings: 4320 (8 animals), 6000 (White Siberian Tiger), 6480 (Ostrich), 8640 (19 animals), 12960 (8 animals), and 17280 (11 animals). I am sure real life would have more values. So BF probably set those settings from a relative viewpoint, that certain types of animals or maybe certain size of animals tend to live longer than another certain type or size of animal. Or they might have based some of them on what would make good game challenges. I don't know for sure what those numbers represent. I suspect real seconds, and possibly 10 real seconds equals 1 game day on a powerful enough computer. If that is true, that means the in-game animals live from about 1.2 game years to about 4.7 game years, depending on the animal. But I don't know for sure.

- Jay

Interesting Fern- that would make a lot of sense. I may just do some trials some time to establish a conversion rate and to see if they really are in-game seconds if my curiosity gets the best of me.

Also- were you quoting someone? You signed the post as Jay but I am pretty sure you are female. Just wondering :)

Also- were you quoting someone? You signed the post as Jay but I am pretty sure you are female. Just wondering :)

I often take questions to Jay as he is the most knowledgeable person around re configuring things ZT. Unlike me, he does not belong to Tek or ZTUF. Actually he really only goes to 4 sites - ZKL (his home), Download Directory and Designer Guild (mine) and Zoo Admin where he does backups for yellowrose. He helped Sundance write her "uca editing guide" which is at ZKL.

Ususally I say that I went to Jay first and then post his answer in a different colour but I felt lazy today and didn't.