• Thorbjc
    • Hawkkeye666
    • MrTroodon
    • And 1
    • Truly_happy

Flippingnowe Hall

Professor Paul

Professor Paul

Fern, there are quite a few references to British TV & radio characters in the thread.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Professor Paul

• Firehawke

• Fern

• caddienoah

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ahhh but I would only recognise those we got down here, although I suspect shortleat = longleat. A few other places mentioned sound like I should know them. It was the doomsaying Fraser that twigged me to Dad's Army, not to mention mainwaring. Our US friends might not pick up on many.

Professor Paul

Spasm was the butler to Lady Counterblast in Round the Horne.

Bayleaf was the gardener in a childrens programme called the herbs.

Willie Eckerslyke was the father of a character played by Victoria Wood in a Christmas special.

Lord Bathroom is a parody of the Marquess of Bath.

The pharoah Rubbatiti was the mummy from the film "Carry On Screaming".

There are a few more in the pipeline, shall we say.....

Professor Paul

A good zoo should always be evolving. When I looked this morning, I decided to redo the perimeter wall & entrance to match the wall round the house. Then I decided that the white concrete walls clashed too much, so they went, then I decided that the stone walls also looked wrong. Post & rail fences or iron bar fences have been substituted as they make the zoo look less heavy & fit the new walls better. I also made some changes to the stables & sheds to blend them in more.

post-5-0-52430700-1411831890_thumb.jpg

Professor Paul

Either side of the main gate to the hall gardens are two tribal masks presented to my ancestor, Sir Stanley Livingstone Radbourne. He received them when he visited the thorny forests of the Congo in 1862. He was actually looking for the source of the Nile, but he had no sense of direction.

They were a gift from the Umiwilli tribe, who traditionally do not wear clothing, and take their name from their cry as they walk through the forests.

Their neighbours on the high grass plains are the Onurtharwi, a tribe of pygmies who got their name in a similar way. Whenever they visited his camp they announced their arrival as the walked through the long grass, crying "We're Onurtharwi! We're Onurtharwi!"

post-5-0-30209400-1411833906_thumb.jpg

Professor Paul

A little further out are simple paddocks, inspired by the Norfolk Wildlife Park which bred many European animals in captivity; some which had never bred before until the 1960s. Bearing in mind that hippos, lions, tigers & chimps were already breeding regularly by then,I find that fact amazing. I call this my Philip Wayre corner, Philip was the naturalist who owned the park until ten years ago & he also ran the Otter Trust, which helped reestablish the otter as a breeding mammal in Great Britain. He died, well into his nineties, a few weeks ago.

post-5-0-39713300-1411842407_thumb.jpg

Professor Paul

There are also a couple more mini Mappin Terraces for sheep & goats!

post-5-0-93048400-1411843080_thumb.jpg

Professor Paul

I solved the shading issue; I needed an update to my graphics card & then reinstalled the game

post-5-0-51230100-1411897581_thumb.jpg