• HeatherL
    • MarkBL20
    • Punki MeT
    • pukkie
    • qkr5614
    • LapisLazuli77

shoe's cc journey

shoe

The original zoot actually caused problems which is why it was updated. The program I used for rotations was MAKHOR which ran in Windows 95 or 98. Apart from crashing it used to load the file up with extra .bmp files. And the only way you had to check if you did something right was put in ingame. For some things like CDL's first set of Color coded buildings I must have been in and out of that program (and ingame) about 30 times or more before I got those buildings to meld together without showing seams. It was a challenge. I actually enjoyed doing that. I was determined to win. lol

Some people used winhex to do rotations too. Another slow way.

Make sure you are using Zoot Version 1.1 , which is the one the tutorial is for.

• Like 1

I've never encountered problems with the original Zoot or Makhor, great programs made by great designers. I used winhex long ago, that was time consuming but not at all hard.

Savannahjan

Jan is fine, Shoe.  And yeah, that apple is adorable, isn't it?  Catfish was a real inovator in downloads; he and our founder LAwebTek created some really novel items.  Sure do miss those guys.

Jack, I didn't realize you were in the community during those early days.  I never tried markhor or winhex; I'm SO glad to have Zoot, it's a breeze.

• Like 2

Cricket

Some people still think Zoot is evil :animated-smileys-laughing-291: but I think it's an amazing tool :D

Glad to see someone getting started with tampering ZT files too! I just started with my own tampering this week. :d

There is a difference between tampering with ingame files and using things like Zoot which are user made tools. So many hacks conflict with other hacks and cannot be put ingame together. Not to mention being either inefficiently done, or incorrectly done,  in some cases causes problems.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 6:21 AM, Jack1990 said:

I've never encountered problems with the original Zoot or Makhor, great programs made by great designers. I used winhex long ago, that was time consuming but not at all hard.

I never used winhex for rotations but have used it for other things.

Not everyone does have problems but they do show up for others. Here is an example from Jay about the original Zoot.

From Jay: When the earliest Zoot saved a ZT view, it put the the location of its ".pal" file inside the ZT view as "objects\FBB3A08B\idle\se.pal instead of as "objects/FBB3A08B/idle/se.pal". When running ZT in MS Windows, that is not a problem. But when running ZT in Linux and probably on a Mac computer, the "\" instead of "/" would cause ZT to crash. Inside everything that comes with ZT, "/" is used instead of "\". JBL mentioned this problem to MadSci and MadSci corrected it in Zoot 0.9b. The way MadSci mentioned this in Zoot's readme is "Also thanks to jbl for tracking down a problem in the 0.9 Beta version.".

From me: The LCID problem is one that only occurs for certain languages so I do not have problems, nor do Americans and other English speaking people but yet it causes game crashes for some Europeans.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The OZ pack from Zoo Admin was actually a conversion of a set of objects created for Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 by a creator named MidwestBoyinLA. Back when he released it I had gotten his permission to convert the set for use in Zoo Tycoon. I also got permission for his other creations such as the Harry Potter Expansion that was released here at Tek and at Zoo Admin. The Lord of the Rings is still in the works with some piece already available at Zoo Admin and future releases for Walt Disney recreation of the Disney releases done for Rollercoaster Tycoon are also on the horizons.

Doing that OZ pack was a lot of fun and I totally enjoyed all the work I put into it. I also have a few add on pieces I want to add to it at a later date maybe for Halloween this year to celebrate ZA's 19th Birthday.