Punki MeT
    Newest Member
    Punki MeT

• pdn
    • Hawkkeye666

I broke my ZT2 game

Z.Z.

Savannahjan

Z.Z., are you running Vista operating system?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Z.Z.

• genkicoll

• ape

• Savannahjan

Guest zoomeister

Z.Z. to clean the registry you will need to run a utility program.

There is one out there that I use that works pretty well and is a free download.

Go to www.ccleaner.com and download the latest version of CCleaner. When you install it, there is an option to put the Yahoo toolbar on your browser. Uncheck that box if you do not wish to have the Yahoo toolbar.

Once you have CCleaner installed, run the program and click on the registry icon. Click on the "Scan for Issues" button. Once the program is finished you will have to click on the "Fix selected issues" button and go through the screens. It will ask you if you wish to back up changes to your registry, I do not choose this option but you might wish to do so. The next screen choose "Fix all selected issues" button. Confirm that you wish to fix all selected issues.

When that is done, run the scanner again to see if there are any issues with your registry that needs fixing again.

That should take out all the registry entries for ZT2.

When this is done, try to reinstall ZT2ZC again along with expansions.

There is another option out there, but it is not for the faint of heart, nor the inexperienced.

Good luck!!

P.S. - Oh, btw.... this is an excellent program to remove all your junk files off the computer as well. Running the cleaner will delete unwanted temporary files off your computer and restore space to your hard drive!!

Z.Z.

Ok, downloaded and installed and opened and clicked the scan button....

holy cow!

931 problems found, after defrag and disk cleanup and pc doctor were already run!!!!!!! Clicking next button.....

Hmmm...

Next page says it will only fix 8 of the problems in 2 catagories, and the registry is not one of them, unless I purchase the program for 40 bucks.

Hmmm.......

Ok, well, only 300 something of those problems are the registry, the other 600 something problems need to be fixed too right?

Purchasing program.....

Ran program 8 times until everything was cleaned, going to attempt install of ZT2 now.....

And it didnt work.

ZT2 is still broke.

Thanks for trying though.

I feel so sorry Z.Z. I know what it is like I even threw 3 brand new cd's in the trash comtainer because they weren't working no matter what I tried and even when the computer met all the requirements

Later when we had added extra memory to the computer and zootycoon2 was for sale I cou;dn't resist an tried asain and this time it worked But I still remember the frustration that caused I sure hope you'll find a solution :hug2:

Guest zoomeister

Z.Z. - CCleaner is a freeware program. You shouldn't have even had to pay for a download, let alone $40. They only ask for a $20 donation if you like the program. I think that you downloaded the wrong program.

I've never had it tell me that it wouldn't fix a registry problem at all.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Click on where it says "Download latest version"

If this doesn't work, the only thing that I can think of doing is to format the hard drive and reinstall everything. Or you could call the Geek Squad or someone nearby that is more knowledgable about PC's. I know it's frustrating, I wish I could help more but I'm too far away to pop around the corner and take a look at it.

We have a registry cleaner for ZT 1 I wish someone even the guys at MS would make one for ZT 2 this would make uninstalling and reinstalling as easy as with ZT 1 and these sorts of problems could be avoided.

ZZ I don't think your r3egistry is totally cleaned of all ZT 2 entries and that is why it's still giving you a problem. Try the link Zoomiester gave you and try that ccleaner program. If it doesn't work then I have to agree that your only other option is to reformat or take the PC to the shop and have a tech look into the problem for you.

Z.Z.

Ok, just downloaded the one in the link, its definately not the one I payed 40 bucks for.

Gonna try and see if it works.

Nope.

Well, at least that one dint cost me anything.

Hubby wants to give it a shot before I call Microsoft, which he wants me to do before I call the geek squad and spend more money.

After that I get to completely reformat my hard drive and make the stinkin thing work right again.

This was a rather expensive lesson for a former Mac user.

Thanks for all your help everyone, one way or the other Im gonna make this game work.

In the meantime I still have ZT1 which is actually better in some ways cause theres all these cool user made things that you can mix and match, so its like having more colors of paint :D

Guest zoomeister

There is one more alternative before you reformat your hard drive and even then if you mess up it will mean you'll have to do it anyways. It is called Regedit. It is very tedious and doing it wrong could make your computer not even work at all until you go back to scratch, but it is worth a shot. Perhaps your husband can do it.

Click on the Start Button.

Select Run from the pop up menu.

Type in regedit and then hit return.

That will open up your registry for editing.

You can go through line by line and delete any mention of Zoo Tycoon 2 from your registry.

Be careful not to delete anything else, or your computer will only be a paperweight until you reload your operating system.

Do a google search for information on registry editing to read up a little bit about it.

Good luck!!

Boris Aardvark

Here's another possibility it could be your zt disk all it takes is one small boo boo in a disk then kaput do any friends near you have any computers that would be willing to see if they can load it up. My idea is that it may not be so damaged as to not play the game but damaged in an area where you install the game at, or in the case of double disk games maybe the first one is fried.