asd294

• Goosifer
    • goldenfire
    • Hawkkeye666
    • (Professor Emeritus)Professor Paul
    • Fern

Game is crashing and I am not sure about the cause

zooguy

This file crashes upon start, is there a crash report to be found somewhere? I have brought in so many downloaded objects I don't know what the cause is.

I was attempting to make the ultimate zoo here and any help would be appreciated!

megamap4.zoo

If the game is crashing upon start it is most likely you have too many files. ZT can only have so many ztds in the game. The way around this is combined ztds. Info on crashes and causes can be found here: Causes of ZT crashes and how to avoid them by Jay and Zoo Tycoon 1 Limits And Suggested Solutions by Jay

Also your zoo wall will cause problems. In some areas it is in the outer tile. Also there is a loose tank piece outside the wall as well.

Exhibit fences 1 tile away from map edges can cause crashes

• Like 1

Is there a list of combined files somewhere? What is the largest number I can have in a single zoo? I am trying to make a large zoo with seperate geographic areas. 

Nope as there are too many to count. It is easy to make combined files. Most sites, including Tek, have tutorials.

The links I gave you give info on how many ztds you can have. That would be in the Limits link. A combined ztd counts as 1 regardless of how many things are in it.

Your map showed large exhibit sizes. You can find minimum sizes by using the guides in the "additional info" posts listed at the download directory.

DD also has guides for all the ingame animals as well as the user made ones.

• Thanks 1

Z.Z.

Fern is correct.

Nothing can be on the edge tile except path or the game will crash.

I leave two tiles from the edge outside the zoo wall, placing the zoo wall footprint on the second tile from the edge, which leaves me the second tile from the edge to decorate outside the zoo wall on top of the footprint, while leaving the max amount of space inside the zoo wall to build.

Putting the zoo wall footprint on the outside of the zoo prevents accidental deletion while building.

You could put the zoo wall footprint on the second tile with the wall on the outer side, but it may cause problems (I am unsure), and leaves no room to decorate outside the zoo wall, and can be accidentally deleted while building even after the zoo gate is in because it is inside the zoo wall.

You could also build without a zoo wall, but you have no choice where your entrance is, it must be where it was when you opened the map, and you must not place anything on the edge tile.

The dlupdate folder can hold 300 files, any more than that crashes the game.

Each in game menu can hold 3000 items, any more than that crashes the game.

So you could have 300 combined files with 100 items each, or 100 combined files with 300 items each.

I have never combined files, but I will have to learn soon because I need my necessary items, (like Genkies Grasses and Tall Grasses and every flower Brandi ever made), but there are tutorials here, and people who can help teach you how to do it.

The current zoo is crashing, which means its file may actually be corrupted, you may want to just delete it and start over following the above parameters.

Hope this helps :)

• Like 1

Savannahjan

Fern, I just reread the 'exhibit fences' from the link you posted.  I was wondering, if you don't have a maintenance worker in the game, will it still crash, since ZT can't schedule the repair with the worker?  And what if there are maintenance workers, but only trash and filter duties are toggled?   Just curious.  Thanks.

From Jay re Jan's question: I can only speculate. I believe ZT would not crash from deteriorated or broken fences if there are no maintenance workers with fence repair duties. But a proper zoo should have at least 1 maintenance worker that can repair fences. It would be better to make sure all exhibit fences are at least 2 tiles away from the map edge. Zoo walls can be 1 tile away from the map edge as long as all exhibit fences are at least 2 tiles away from the map edge. Zoo walls must not be on a map edge because then they cannot be deleted without the ZT expansion packs crashing. Other objects can be put on the map edge tiles. For example, foliage can be put on those tiles to hide portions of the zoo wall.

• 2 weeks later...

I   built an entirely new zoo, and its crashing again. I don't think its the fences or anything on the edge. Is there anyway i can isolate the cause? I have put much effort into this one and I wanted to make a screen shot tour. 

megamapgood fences.zoo

When I open my last save the game runs for a few minutes before crashing, so I assume its because a guest is looking at an object but I don't know what that object is. Is there any code that can help me find this? A crash log?

Edit: After deleting several objects I thought were the cause, game still crashes.  Guess I have lost another zoo in this case. 

We think it may be a gawk object. What I suggest you do is take all the ztds from the game leaving just the fences and animals. It will probably not crash at this point. Then add back a few ztds at a time. Do not save while doing this. Just add a few, run it to see if it crashes, exit out without saving, add a few more back.....repeat. If you can narrow it down I can then look at the various files.

I did notice you have Wild Wings ingame. Do not use this piece "WWscenery_finalfix.ztd Small aviary" That small aviary will crash your game as it has the gawk problem.

• Like 1