• Most Online

asd294
    Newest Member
    asd294

• nana_nytowl
    • Luz21

Game is crashing and I am not sure about the cause

zooguy

From Jay: For the zoo, I used the Zoo Object List program to see what was used by the zoo. Based on that list, I added in the dlupdate folder the user made fences and tank walls used by the zoo. I did not add any of the other user made things. I also added my hack that lets me see where invisible fences are. I looked at the zoo and let it go for several game weeks. It did not crash. So I suspect that the problem is the second problem ("Symptom: A saved game is loaded in MM or CC and the game crashes immediately or soon after.") mentioned in the "Causes of ZT crashes and how to avoid them" topic at DG:

http://www.ztcdd.org/DG/index.php?topic=5452.0

As that topic mentions, an approach to use to try to get around the problem is to "remove everything from the dlupdate folder (for CC) or the Updates folder (for MM) and add them back into the folder a group at a time to see which object will prevent the crash". Since this zoo uses a lot of user made things, I did not attempt to do that myself. I cannot rule out some other cause, but the above seems like the most likely. Just for additional information, the last user made object inside the zoo file is "Rock Cliff 05" (APE ID 0D118299 in RDFT_Rock_Cliff_Pack.ZTD). But I do not know if that means that was the last object added to the zoo. It might be worth trying to remove only that ZTD to see if CC still crashes. The zoo has 13 of those "Rock Cliff 05" objects.

Although CC did not crash for me when I looked at that zoo, I did notice other problems. There is no "outside" to the zoo. That is because the Zoo Entrance is on tiles along the edge of the map. If the Admission booths and Zoo Entrance are moved one tile further away from the edge, and zoo walls are added to connect the existing zoo walls to the Zoo Entrance, then CC recognizes an "outside" to the zoo. I highly recommend that is done. As it is now, if an exhibit fence is added at the edge of the map and then the bulldozer is used to try to delete it, CC crashes.

The zoo has a number of broken exhibit fences. It also looked like there were some invisible fences and possibly some other fences that were placed at places accidentally. The snow leopards escaped in my testing because they jumped over the low fence. A grizzly bear broke through a low fence to get into the moose exhibit, and it killed the moose. Since I did not have any other user made things other than fences and tank walls, it is possible some user made things block these low fences and broken fences. CC also gave messages of zookeepers not being able to reach some animals.

From me: Apparently Jay does not have the black stork file you used so could I have it please. Do you know where you got it?

Edit: Never mind about the stork I do have it as it is the one by Genki.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I appreciate the responses. I was unable to find the gawk object! But I still appreciate this.

Is there a list of gawk objects somewhere?

Years ago when we first discovered this Jay made a list for me. But that was prior 2010 and I have since fixed many. I don't know where that list is any more. As I find them I fix them. There are still a few ZA files that need doing I think. I might get him to run me another list if he is not too busy.