Missing Animals?

Sir Keksalot

Sir Keksalot

I installed a few mods from this website, but when I went to check them out in-game, I noticed that many of the animals from vanilla ZT1 were gone. I believe they were all animals from the savannah biome because only a few of the OGs remain, the other biomes *might* be untouched, but I don't have the game's animal roster memorized so I'm not sure. I know leopards and cheetahs are gone, which locks me out of at least one scenario, since I was going through the scenarios because I never bothered with them as a kid. Do modded animals normally replace the vanilla animals, or is this a bug? And what can I do to restore the original animals, short of reinstalling the game? Because I deleted all my mods and the old animals are still gone.

What version of ZT are you playing with?

Did you add them to the correct folder? When you deleted them did you occidentally delete ingame stuff?

No the user made animals should not overwrite ingame animals with one exception.....I think that was the yeti. User made have their own ids.

Regarding the mods - were any of them hacks as some hacks can cause problems?

Sir Keksalot
Just now, Fern said:

What version of ZT are you playing with?

Did you add them to the correct folder? When you deleted them did you occidentally delete ingame stuff?

No the user made animals should not overwrite ingame animals with one exception.....I think that was the yeti. User made have their own ids.

Regarding the mods - were any of them hacks as some hacks can cause problems?

Ironically, the Yeti is untouched.

I am playing Complete Collection. I should note that this is the version available from MyAbandonware. The mods I'm using are as follows:

image.png.4bbfe30641e53f14d34dd3a224911c10.png

I should note that I also downloaded the giant brown recluse by Genkicoll and LAwebtek's aardvark, but deleted these from the game pretty much as soon as I saw what they were like in-game.

I only deleted the mods AFTER noticing some animals were gone. I installed these animals using the game's built-in feature that lets you browse for local files. I started with the Aldabra tortoise, but several mods in, I realized something was wrong, and I'm not sure if it was a specific install that caused the problem or if multiple mods together did me in.

Yep. I am not sure how abandonware works. So someone else might answer that bit.

However NEVER use that built in feature to install files. It was created for the original game and puts things in the Updates folder instead of the dlupdates folder. Most of us use the zip extraction technique or the drag and drop method. Also if a file is in a folder in the zip the folder will be put in the game and the game cannot read what is in added folders. Folder ones from here are likely animals by ghirin and moondawg.

You might have to reinstall.

There are several tutorials around but I would suggest a read of this one since I can locate it quickly.

http://www.ztcdd.org/DD/index.php?topic=60.0

Sir Keksalot
2 hours ago, Fern said:

Yep. I am not sure how abandonware works. So someone else might answer that bit.

However NEVER use that built in feature to install files. It was created for the original game and puts things in the Updates folder instead of the dlupdates folder. Most of us use the zip extraction technique or the drag and drop method. Also if a file is in a folder in the zip the folder will be put in the game and the game cannot read what is in added folders. Folder ones from here are likely animals by ghirin and moondawg.

You might have to reinstall.

There are several tutorials around but I would suggest a read of this one since I can locate it quickly.

http://www.ztcdd.org/DD/index.php?topic=60.0

Alright, thank you. I will reinstall and go from there. I will update this comment and let you know if the mods work out without causing an extinction event in my zoo.

EDIT: Absolutely nothing works. Reinstalling just leaves me with literally 8 animals in total. I have no idea what is happening if a full reinstall doesn't help, and frankly, I don't know if I can be bothered to keep going. ZT2 has more mods anyway, I think this is just a sign that I should move on to that...

Z.Z.
Sir Keksalot
2 hours ago, Z.Z. said:

I have had nothing but problems with abandonware.

See if you can find Zoo Tycoon Complete Collection on cd, then remove everything from your computer and reinstall from the cds, the game will be fine then.

I actually had the game as a kid, but have since lost the boxed set. I would have purchased the game from a 2nd-party retailer, but I didn't see myself playing it very much and I don't think I'm in a position where such purchases would be financially responsible. Frankly, I was always envious of ZT2's modding scene as a kid, so I'm honestly not fussed about cutting my losses and checking out that game instead.

I don't think it was the download from MyAbandonware that caused the problem; I've had nothing but success with it and oldgamesdownload.com. The game worked fine until I started using the built-in modding tool, which Fern has since stated is terrible. I believe that caused this bug because the guide Fern posted says that the files should go in a different folder, and I think that goofed something up. I will post in this thread if I get it to work or if someone else has an option for me to try. Until then, I will tap into my French heritage and wave the white flag.

Sir Keksalot
3 hours ago, Savannahjan said:

That didn't work. Still only 8 animals before installing DD and MM or doing any research. It's like my system remembers what files WEREN'T there and is actively going out of its way to exclude them.

Part of me suspects that the animals are still present in the game, and that this is only an issue with the UI not letting me adopt all animals that should be present at the start of the game. If I go into the second tutorial, the camels are there with no problem whatsoever, but they don't appear in the adoption menu. The only animals I can adopt from vanilla ZT are the zebra, blackbuck, giraffe, lion, moose, grizzly, chimp, and Bengal tiger. DD and MM seem untouched.

6 hours ago, Savannahjan said:

Before you give up on ZTCC, try downloading this digital copy

Do you know of a ZT2 copy that is in .zip form?