Jymn's fussy little edits

Jymn

2 hours ago, Jymn said:

The dino digs caves kinda look like a T-rex's tail would be stickin out if it tried to sleep in there, don't they? But you wouldn't want 'em bigger cuz they're space hogs as it is. However, if you put them against a cliff you can make-believe the cave is however large you need and use the space above for guests or other animals or whatever you want. So I made cave entrances to go against cliffs. Capacity 10. Any animal that likes the shelter they're based on will like and use them.

Thank you so much! I especially like the rear view & the large capacity.

Jymn
On 2/21/2023 at 8:33 AM, OttoPruin2007 said:

Could you make a dimorphic ostrich hack?

It looks like the original ostrich was kinda splitting the difference between males and females so I recolored both. And the baby.

(ya'll should google baby ostrich they are way cuter than I was expecting)

ecmPhfi.png -> n9su8Xe.png

No stat changes

Jm_OstrichDimorph_Hack.zip

• Love 1

Jymn

Are your animals eating drab, dreary food? It especially looks miserable if you have prehistoric animals in the exhibit and the original zoo food is sitting next to the fresh, vibrant Dino Digs grub. So why not spruce up that animal chow with a nice palette swap?

wvpb1TV.png

Not a massive difference but I think it helps. I was especially motivated to change the bamboo since it is typically green when it is fresh.

I can't say I'm satisfied with the hay palette. I wanted to get rid of the mustard look and bring in some light green like timothy hay or alphalpha, but, well...it's a very frustrating .pal to work with. Still, I think it looks less weird in forest exhibits while still looking good in the savannah

Jm_animchow_hack.zip

• Like 3

Jymn

As you may know, there are some very cool scientific realism projects for the dinosaurs in this game which move Ankylosaurus to the forest.

This is accurate. And I do love me some scientific accuracy. But the thing is, it looks kinda weird in that environment. Its gorgeous red color palette was clearly designed to look good in the savannah. You may have some zoos with lovely Ankylosaurus safaris already built. Plus, for some reason it pleases me to no end to see the big lugs chillin with wild dogs. My solution? Two species of ankylosaur.

One coniferous (green)

i4EHzZQ.png

One savannah (original color, but slighlty dimorphic)

oNPtaZw.png

There is an option here for you to make one a default replacement for the original. Which of them you might want as the hack probably depends on whether you've been using a scientific accuracy hack or not (if you are read the important information regarding hacks below)

They are also both available as new animals, if you want to access one or both colors that way. Non-hack Green ankylosaurus is simply named the full scientific name "Ankylosaurus Magniventris.” New Savannah Ankylo is named Safari Saichania.

Saichania were found in what is now the Gobi Desert in the late cretaceous, it was a fairly hot and dry place even back then, so I figured it was the closest-to-accurate option. The exhibit needs of Saichania (and dimorphsafari_hack) are similar enough to the original Ankylosaurus that old Ankylosaurus exhibits should still work, but they will request more diverse terrain, and I added the ability to use desert, coniferous and other items, so that you can make more accurate (or just more interesting) exhibits if you wish.

Any exhibit you made for "no grass please" ankylosaurus will probably work for my green ankylos, although the requirements are slightly different.
BTW, my green and red ankylos are easy-going enough to share an exhibit with each other if you’re satisfied with suitability in the high 80s.

IMPORTANT INFO REGARDING HACKS
There are several hacks out there that effect all the dinosaurs at once, such as, but not limited to:
- Dinosaur Digs Combined Realism Hack by VNDragon
- No Grass, Please! by P.Rex and Vondell
- Reality Hack by Wolv12
- No Egg + Attractiveness Boost Hack by Penguino

If any of these load after my hack, most of the effects of mine won't appear in game. You have several options:

You could place whichever multi-dino hack .ztd you have into the zoo tycoon "updates" folder, and place my .ztd in the "dlupdates" folder. This will cause mine to load second, and also makes it easy to add any other dino hacks to dlupdate that you want to override the group hack.

OR You could rename my .ztd to have "zzz" at the beginning so that it will load last even in the same folder as the other hack

OR You could open the .ztd for whichever multi-hack you have, locate the ankylo.ai and delete it

OR You could use only the unique animal versions of my ankylosaurs and not worry about this at all

REGARDING EGGS

My ankylosaurs incorporate the effects of No Egg + Attractiveness Boost Hack by Penguino. But if you would prefer they lay eggs again, it is pretty simple thing to change:
Open the ztd and open the animals folder.
Open the .ai or .uca file with notepad.
Locate the line: cLaysEggs = 0
Change it to: cLaysEggs = 1
Save. Say yes when it asks to update the archive (or drag the updated file into the .ztd if you took it out)

Oh and I changed the plaque images also, which i don't usually bother with but like...some of the dino plaques have the weirdest tree choice...

DpCqEcf.png

Feel free to use my plaques and .pal files for your own purposes

Jm_AnkyloDimorphSafari_Hack.zip Jm_AnkyloGreenConif_Hack.zip Jm_AnkyloGreenConif_Unique.zip Jm_AnkyloRedSaichania_Unique.zip

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
emblybobembly

i'm loving all these mods! i just spent my time adding all your hacks into my compiled file of animal hacks and it feels like there's a whole new patch on a 20 year old game. it rules

i do have a little request, if it wouldnt take up too much of your time. i thought it'd be cute to turn the original zt reindeer into a whole new animal, kind of like what you did with the ankylosaur. i love yours and want to keep it on as the "original" but also the optional whimsy of the santa deer for other situations is appealing. i know itd take making new ids and im...baffled to say the least.

• Like 2

Jymn
On 3/11/2023 at 4:10 AM, emblybobembly said:

i'm loving all these mods! i just spent my time adding all your hacks into my compiled file of animal hacks and it feels like there's a whole new patch on a 20 year old game. it rules

i do have a little request, if it wouldnt take up too much of your time. i thought it'd be cute to turn the original zt reindeer into a whole new animal, kind of like what you did with the ankylosaur. i love yours and want to keep it on as the "original" but also the optional whimsy of the santa deer for other situations is appealing. i know itd take making new ids and im...baffled to say the least.

Thank you : )

I was thinking of possibly doing a fantasy version of the reindeer with males just slightly redder than original - still very bright and surreal- and the females maybe slightly purple. But I dunno when I'll get to that.

If you want just regular old reindeer with new id, that would be extremely straightforward in APE. I'm gonna write some instructions here in case you would like to try it.

Download APExp from here http://www.ztcdd.org/DD/DownloadFiles/ZTABC/APExp3-2.zip and extract the contents

-Place the AXP and ZZA folders into Zoo Tycoon's main folder.

-Open APExp, it is an .exe file

-In the APE program click [create a new project]

-Then the [new] button at the top

-After a second a smaller window will open: click the [animals] folder

-Scroll down to reindeer. (oddly, with my reindeer installed it will show my icon on this menu, but the reindeer it creates will still be the original reindeer with the original icon)

-Click the reindeer and then the [create] button below it. Now you will see the reindeer info. There are buttons on the lower left to look through more settings you might want to change. You could play with settings or change the name to "Santa's Reindeer" or whatnot, but you don't have to change anything at all.

-To create your "new" reindeer .ztd, click [manage] in the top left corner,

-Then [save the current project]

-Give it a name you'll recognize like "Reindeer NewID" and save it somewhere. You can save it directly into dlupdates if you want since that's where you're gonna be putting it.

-Once the .ztd you just saved is in dlupdates your original reindeer will be in the game next time you start

• Like 1

emblybobembly

Haha, unfortunately, i run all mac. i just barely got zoo tycoon to work with some funky abandonware stuff. no matter how i try to swing it, everything absolutely HATES emulating/converting/running APE, and ultimately, im not that smart with computers to finesse it. my ZT modding is limited to what i can edit using textedit programs :cry4:

maybe one day i'll really sit down and learn a lot more about what it takes to run windows executables, a real homeschool college course on programming, but today is not that day lol

no worries though! this request/idea is so low on my list of wants its barely a thing, especially because if the want really strikes me all i have to do is take out the mod. ill stay hanging out and see what else you create! like i said, its been revitalizing to get what seems like patches for a game i love. you do great work

• Like 1

Jymn
2 hours ago, emblybobembly said:

Haha, unfortunately, i run all mac. i just barely got zoo tycoon to work with some funky abandonware stuff. no matter how i try to swing it, everything absolutely HATES emulating/converting/running APE, and ultimately, im not that smart with computers to finesse it. my ZT modding is limited to what i can edit using textedit programs :cry4:

maybe one day i'll really sit down and learn a lot more about what it takes to run windows executables, a real homeschool college course on programming, but today is not that day lol

no worries though! this request/idea is so low on my list of wants its barely a thing, especially because if the want really strikes me all i have to do is take out the mod. ill stay hanging out and see what else you create! like i said, its been revitalizing to get what seems like patches for a game i love. you do great work

Okay , I can whip one up and message it to you then

• Love 3