Sillything
    Newest Member
    Sillything

• (Professor Emeritus)Professor Paul
    • LapisLazuli77
    • Goosifer

Elevation and Observation

Lynx54321

hello there recently when constructing zoos I have discovered that if I have elevation involved in any zoo exhibit in terms of the guests path then the guests will not go to view the exhibit, for example if I build an exhibit two tiles into the ground so to speak very few guests will go anywhere near it, or if I have the path at one side of the exhibit raised above ground level they will avoid it. Also I am finding that guests will not use the observation things at all. Most exhibits at my zoos remain with zero popularity as nobody goes near them.

Is this normal or am I missing something?

To expand upon this, I am playing with the complete collection and my zoo is half marine exhibits and half regular exhibits, every single exhibit has less than one star popularity and very very few guests are going anywhere near any exhibit apart from the orca/dolphin/sea lion shows. Every other exhibit marine+land is being completely ignored so basically there is throngs of people around the shows and the rest of the zoo is empty. The other animals on display are Gorillas, Asiatic Lions, Sumatran Tigers, Asian Elephants, Whale Sharks, Manta Rays, Pacific Octopus and a couple others so not exactly boring animals that people wouldn't be interested in.

Also my swim shack refuses to work, I have tried it both ways round.

The only downloads I have other than the bonus content is Asiatic Lions and Sumatran Tigers from this site.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Hi Lynx,

The stars you are referring to for popularity of an exhibit don't mean anything. Do not try to go by these star ratings as I have had the experts tell me that these stars are not a true rating of your exhibit. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

As for the guests not viewing all of your exhibits, there are a lot of factors to take into account. To save time and space, if you could upload a snapshot of your zoo and a snapshot of the elevation, I am sure the experts here (not me) could help by suggesting some chages to make your exhibits more popular, There are also very good totorials here on making your zoos bettter,.. You may want to check those out too. Happy Zoo making. :vishenka_34:

You are talking about ZT2. There is no star system in ZT1.

Kim

No I am talking about about ZT1. There is a star system along with the donations bit for each exhibit.

Thanks for the advice John, although the stars may make no difference I am also receiving barely any donations for these exhibits as well, whereas before I installed MM and ran a normal zoo any decent exhibit would be reasonably popular and receive plenty of donations now I get hardly any.

I have managed to sort out the guest flow problem, getting rid of the orca and dolphin show tanks and replacing them with a single tank alternating sea lions and otters has magically solved the situation. Guests now walk around the entire zoo instead of just clogging up outside the grandstands. I also did look at several tutorials and got things set up a bit better in terms of paths.

I have abandoned making raised observation areas for now but will try again tomorrow and report back with results and screen shots. I also have had no luck making the swim shack function.

Hi Lynx !

Did you have all of your show tanks in one spot? Sometimes that will cause a bottleneck - by spreading them out and making sure you have plenty of eats & restrooms when they get out (but not right up against the shows) helps with the flow.

What setting do you have your shows on? You should set them to Infrequent. Guests are stupid. They will go to a show if one is on even it they need food, drink, bathroom or anything else. Then they whine, whine, whine. So you should put your shows away from the entrance so guests have to walk through the zoo to get there.

Genki wrote a good article on getting benefactors. It might be in the University area.

From the game help files:

"The swim shack, swim with dolphins, and boat rental shack must be placed entirely on either salt water or fresh water terrain tiles. There must be at least a few tiles of water at the exit of each water attraction building. Use the water terrain tiles located on the Terrain tab of the Construction menu, and then place the buildings adjacent to the water; the buildings will turn green to indicate where you can place the building. However, guests will not be able to enter without a path to the entrance."

Thanks for the replies guys. Still no luck with the swim shack, the other two work however.

It could be a bottle neck with the show tanks, here are some screen shots of the lay out.

Zoo002.jpg

Zoo001.jpg

The guests seem to flat out refuse to go past the path in front of the sea lion show tank, everything past there is usually deserted. The number of guests has died down a bit here but both dolphin and orca shows were averaging around 100 people per show, they were set on frequent though, I will try changing this to infrequent.

I'm not seeing stars on the screens you posted like I do with ZT2. Can someone please explain this star system in ZT1 to me as I seem tobe lost.

Kim

To see the stars in ZT1, you have to go into the exhibit information. Each exhibit gets stars based on popularity.

Hey Lynx---could we get another angle on the swim shack so we could see the entrance??? I'm wondering if the elevation leading up to the entrance might be off.