Newest Member
    JT12

• Fern
    • ZKH
    • Truly_happy

my 1575 Kenilworth Castle project

mrspiggy

KENILWORTH CASTLE 1575

I found this image of Kenilworth Castle, located in England and decided to us it for my medieval zoo project.

Not knowing anything about the castle or even if they had any animals that would be suitable, I began my research. Turns out that the castle did indeed have a very interesting history. It is one of a few castles that remain today, although not all intact, that is open to the public and has quit a few websites devoted to its history.

A bit of history:

In 1575 Queen Elizabeth 1st arrived at Kenilworth Castle during one of her yearly outings to visit Sir Robert Dudley, reported to be her one and only true love. She brought a staff of 400 and stayed from July 9th to July 27th.

“Dudley spent over £60,000, an enormous sum in those days, on elaborate celebrations. The queen was welcomed by the "Lady of the Lake", floating on an artificial island in the middle of the waters surrounding the castle. This royal visit formed the basis of Shakespeare's play, "A Midsummernight's Dream", and the novel "Kenilworth", by Sir Walter Scott.”

Links about the castle:

The most ambitious thing he did was design a garden just for Elizabeth’s pleasure. That garden has been brought back to life by English-Heritage Society:

Dudley did all he could to get Elizabeth to accept his hand in marriage but she never did.

I Hope you enjoy a walk back in history.

The queen arrived at 8:00 after spending the day hunting. This area is called the Brays. Since she brought a staff of 400 they needed a place to stay and tend to their horses. I used the Chestnut Goklan and the Day Mare.

The first gate you come to is the Gallery Tower.

The long tiltyard which is 500 feet long is where the jousting tournaments would be held. To the right of the tiltyard,you have the marshy area known as Lower Pool. On the left of the tiltyard you will see the Great Mere which was a man-made lake , the lake was 100 acres (4,400,000 sq. ft.). It was filled with all sorts of waterfowl. The Swan Goose loves to swim back and forth to the other side of the lake.

post-29002-132399231144_thumb.jpg

As you approach the castle you enter through Mortimer’s Tower and turn right.

You see the stable that are still standing today, although they have been turned into a gift shop.

We see the Sorrel, Roan Buckskin and the Palomino horse.

post-29002-132399247797_thumb.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mrspiggy

• Firehawke

• ZooGrammy

• caddienoah

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

#3.Turning to the left and going up the incline, you come to the castle. The clock in the tower was stopped until the queen left Kenilworth on July 27th.

#4-The bear baiting was held in the inner court.

#5-Dudley had a special loggia built next to the castle keep so Elizabeth could walk down the terrace to the garden.

more to come tomorrow

1575 Kenilworth Castle 3-5 (1).rar

It is wonderful!

I feel that I'm back there watching from above...

Good attention to detail...can't wait to visit it and walk through the castle and evirons...

All you need is a royal party, coach and horses...maybe one of our amazing designers, could make some statues that could be used?

Again, excellant job mrspiggy!!

I love your medieval zoo! I love the layout and I love how you were able to create all of the different aspects of Kenilworth Castle and Elizabeth's visit. I can't wait to see more! :yahoo:

Thank you, it's been fun doing.

6-I wasn't sure if they kept chickens in the castle but the best place to put them was next to the kitchen..

We also have the peacock to the left. There was an exit that was used to get to the lake, here you could row over to the other side where the Chase is.

The lake was known for its many types of swans. My favorite swan to use is the trumpeter swan and mute swan.

post-29002-132405396404_thumb.jpg

7-Going back to the stable area, on your left you come to Leicester's Gatehouse. Dudley enlarged this area so the queen could ride into the Chase and to the town of Coventry where she attended church at St. Nicholas. Also large wagons could enter here better than coming through the Brays.

8-As you turn right, you go towards the town and surrounding countyside.

9-On your way out of town, you will see the Forest Tarpan, Dunlin, Bar Tail Godwit, donkey, ox, pigs and the badger.

Crossing over the bridge, you will see the river otter and adder. (thank you Kreek for the belfry download, I found the perfect spot for it).

tomorrow we visit the Chase...

1575 Kenilworth Castle 6-9.rar

I use the large basic map thinking I won't have enough space to place everything and then towards the end regretting it because it takes soooooo long to fill it up..