• Most Online

Sladhued
    Newest Member
    Sladhued

• MrTroodon
    • (Admin)Cricket

Zoo Tycoon scenario creating...

ncovert

While I wait to see if Jay will say anything I will say this.......

Changing or adding to ingame dlls has caused big problems in the past including causing the game to crash. You would not be permitted to change site dlls as they are controlled by the site and done by people who know what they are doing. ZT has some strange id sequences so you cannot use just any number. Nor can you just use any number because it might have been used by a site for a building, fence or some other user made thing since it would cause a conflict.

Now to see if I can make sense of what has been said over the course of a few emsils today between Jay and myself....

I really cannot be bothered rewording this so read it as what he is saying to me so what he says is in green. And I was expecting this last question.

I was also expecting those questions about the scenario ".dll". It should be a new ".dll". I don't see a problem with mentioning ResHacker. You could also say that ResHacker has problems, though. You can also say that the ID and text block names must not conflict with anything else if the scenario is going to be released for others. And you can say that we do not know if certain ID ranges are better to use than others for scenarios, since we have not made scenarios ourselves. But it should be an ID that will not waste a "set of 3", which is a term familiar to people that configure buildings but would be difficult to explain to others who do not have configuring experience. Also, if the scenario is going to be released for others, then it should be tested by a number of other people because of how complex scenarios are.

The id range list (or one of two) is at ZKL Designer Lists For Avoiding ZT Conflicts There are three topics there that concern "String Ids". At this point I mentioned that no one can join ZKL any more because of spamming and it has also become a very quiet site. People do not need to join to access info or downloads. However, with how long this has been going on, if there are more questions, you should ask them at DD (link is in my signature) where Jay can answer directly. You will need to make 2 posts in existing topics before you can create a new topic there but we can always split a post off anyway.

Yes, I did realize that the person cannot post at ZKL if they are not a current member. They do have access to look at the list, though. And they could always post at that topic at Phoenix what they will use. But, as I just mentioned in my other email, we do not know what ID ranges would be appropriate for scenarios since we have never done scenarios ourselves. So, for example, if xxxx is used for a scenario and someone is using 3xxxx for something else (or 55000 + xxxx), we don't know if ZT would use xxxx or 3xxxx. I would try using 46001 (since the in-game scenario IDs are 16001-16045 and it seems that the 30000 + xxxxx IDs are available). But I cannot guarantee that will not cause some type of conflict, which is why any scenario using it would need to be well tested, including by people experienced with configuration.