Automatic Sprite Rendering

HENDRIX

Savannahjan

Question:  Could there be a hack or some such made to allow the game to accept more colors?  It's such a pain to get a lovely scenery image ready to go and you get the dreaded 'too many colors' in Zoot. 

Goosifer

It would need much more than a hack. The game rendering engine would need to be rewritten in such a way that supports more colors, which luckily falls under the scope of what we're planning for OpenZT. I don't know how far we'll take color support though. At least I'd like the alpha channel to be supported. That alone should solve many of the 'too many colors' errors.

• Like 1

HENDRIX

Well, for most cases 255 colors do fine. The palette just has to be created carefully. Zoot I assume simply does not reduce colors at all when it encounters more than 255, but you can easily do so in external programs.

• Like 1

LapisLazuli77

Any advice to fix sprites getting clipped off the edge of the image?

image.png.d48c820b39cadee2f1cdf8480467c821.png

Hawkkeye666
2 hours ago, LapisLazuli77 said:

Any advice to fix sprites getting clipped off the edge of the image?

image.png.d48c820b39cadee2f1cdf8480467c821.png

Just move scene a little lower. Mark everything and move it like you would move a model.

HENDRIX

Incase any of you are interested, we have finally cracked the animation format of cobra engine games (Planet Zoo, Jurassic World Evolution 2), so rendering their models to sprites is now feasible.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Congrats!! That means you have time for Zoo Tycoon modding again right ? haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

HENDRIX
30 minutes ago, Goosifer said:

Congrats!! That means you have time for Zoo Tycoon modding again right ? haha

You know the dreads of disassembly! I assume these modern optimized shader instructions I've dealt with are even meaner than the ZT1 stuff, and more obfuscated. I have a nice prototype of the anim decompression code but it goes wrong on a few cases, which means debugging, debugging, debugging... :hamwheelsmilf:

It was the first time ever I had to resort to disassembly and a debugger, and it's a total PITA, so kudos for doing that regularly for openZT and EMU stuff! :worship:

• Like 1

You know the dreads of disassembly! I assume these modern optimized shader instructions I've dealt with are even meaner than the ZT1 stuff, and more obfuscated. I have a nice prototype of the anim decompression code but it goes wrong on a few cases, which means debugging, debugging, debugging...

Oh yeah absolutely. The benefit of disassembling ZT1 is how old the code is, so in some ways we don't have to deal with too many weird compression or encryption hoops.  I've been dreading reversing any 3D game code though. The closest I've gotten is trying to update your BFB scripts, but I haven't ventured out of your notes yet to do my own poking. It would be cool to crack the object model structures.

Anyway props to you too. Disassembly for 3D games, especially the newer ones in 64 bit, is not easy!

• Like 1