Hawkkeye´s ´projects´

Hawkkeye666

Pretty.

Reading that article I did not know that slugs and snails do not like wool. What a useful garden tip that is. And I live in a country with lots of sheep.

• Like 1

We have lots of sheep in this area, too. I'm going to try the wool tip as well.

Few rodents.

Animals:

marmots.jpg.e850a209dad42ba0629afd88973b51ee.jpg

Bobak Marmot, Himalayan Marmot, Yellow Ground Squirrel, Pacarana

Compatibility:

Bobak Marmot: Borsato´s Saiga

Himalayan Marmot: Borsato´s Chiru, my Thorold´s Deer, Kiang, Bharal, Blood Pheasant, Black-Necked Crane, Przewalski´s Gazelle (unreleassed)

Yellow Ground Squirrel: Borsato´s Bactrian Camel, my Asiatic Wild Ass and Goitered Gazelle

Pacarana: my Mountain Tapir, Alpaca, Mountain Paca, Andean Cock-of-the-Rock (hehe), Huemul, Southern Pudu, Ashy-Headed Goose

Enjoy!

*** files removed 2021.12.19

• Like 2

I love hornbills, one of my favourite birds. One of the reasons why I´m releasing them now, and not earlier, is that I was constantly changing compatibility of ground hornbills - they are kept in many different setups in African exhibits, and I couldn´t choose which to use. I think these are probably the best.

Animals:

hornbills.jpg.3d78c9996953c3db67c0d74587674154.jpg

Great Indian Hornbill, Knobbed Hornbill, Abyssinian Ground Hornbill, Southern Ground Hornbill

Compatibility:

Knobbed Hornbill: Khaydar´s Lowland Anoa, my Sulawesi Stripe-Faced Fruit Bat

Abyssinian Ground Hornbill: my Grévys Zebra, Soemmerring´s Gazelle, Lesser Kudu

Southern Ground Hornbill: ingame Thompson´s Gazelle, Borsato´s Gerenuk, my Topi and Grey Crowned Crane

Enjoy!

*** files removed 2021.12.19

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Zarawatto

Hornbills are beautiful birbs ♡ also one of my favs after quetzals 🪶🪶

Dear ZooTekphoenixers, I want to know your opinion on difficult matter...

What would the best compatibility for secretary bird?

1.) exhibit with other mild-mannered African raptors - for now bateleur and black-chested snake eagle.

2.) East-African paddock with Grévy´s zebras, lesser kudus, Soemmerring´s gazelles, Abyssinian ground hornbills, and Somali ostriches (unreleased). All these species are mixed with secreatary birds in zoos.

3.) East-African paddock with Thomson´s gazelles, gerenuks, topis, southern ground hornbills and grey crowned cranes. Except topi, secretary birds have been succesfully mixed with all these species.

So... What do you think?

2 minutes ago, Hawkkeye666 said:

1.) exhibit with other mild-mannered African raptors - for now bateleur and black-chested snake eagle.

2.) East-African paddock with Grévy´s zebras, lesser kudus, Soemmerring´s gazelles, Abyssinian ground hornbills, and Somali ostriches (unreleased). I haven´t seen secretary birds mixed with zebras anywhere, but other species are mixed with them in zoos.

3.) East-African paddock with Thomson´s gazelles, gerenuks, topis, southern ground hornbills and grey crowned cranes. Again, except topi, secreary birds have been succesfully mixed with all other species.

4.) Exhibit with sable antelopes, greater kudus and kirk´s dikdiks. I am not sure about the dikdiks, but secretary birds were mixed in Los Angeles zoo with rock hyraxes in 70s, so dikdiks are probably too big for them to be considered prey. But I am not sure.

So... What do you think?

I'd say either 1 or 4

I vote for 4, but then you know I'm partial to DikDiks and Sable Antelopes. Toss in a Greater Kudu and a Secretery Bird and you have a recipe for awesomeness!

On 12/17/2021 at 7:33 AM, Hawkkeye666 said:

2.) East-African paddock with Grévy´s zebras, lesser kudus, Soemmerring´s gazelles, Abyssinian ground hornbills, and Somali ostriches (unreleased). I haven´t seen secretary birds mixed with zebras anywhere, but other species are mixed with them in zoos.

3.) East-African paddock with Thomson´s gazelles, gerenuks, topis, southern ground hornbills and grey crowned cranes. Again, except topi, secreary birds have been succesfully mixed with all other species.

4.) Exhibit with sable antelopes, greater kudus and kirk´s dikdiks. I am not sure about the dikdiks, but secretary birds were mixed in Los Angeles zoo with rock hyraxes in 70s, so dikdiks are probably too big for them to be considered prey. But I am not sure.

So... What do you think?

There's reports of secretary birds taking prey as large as gazelle fawns, which are around the same size as smaller dik-diks. I do suggest looking at real-life zoos for ideal mixings. You mentioned the LA Zoo already, and the Dallas Zoo once had an exhibit with greater kudu, marabout storks, lappet-faced vultures, gerenuks, and Thomson's gazelles alongside their secretary birds. 

These AZA listings should help with some more options.

Mixed_Species_Institutions.doc

You know nothing is really compatible with the in-game giraffe. How about giraffe, greater kudu, secretary bird...unless you're planning on making a reticulated giraffe(hint hint).

Or Rothschild's giraffe, I'm not picky. :-)