hshelby99

• And 1
    • Goosifer
    • DeWetsWild
    • riou108
    • bxdczoo

Additional storage

luvmy83wing

no problem I have a Bachelor of Computer Science and am working on a Bachelor of Animation and Graphics so I am quite computer savvy.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ageise02

• luvmy83wing

• pukkie

• Yellowrose

luvmy83wing
no problem I have a Bachelor of Computer Science and am working on a Bachelor of Animation and Graphics so I am quite computer savvy.

My dad has 7 masters in comp science and when they were 386 and 486's or commodor 64 I knew quitea bit then I grew up moved away and became a truck driver now working in a fulfillment center ....smarts went BYE BYE

exoticcats,

do you have XP? Because if you do then you can download files without anything additional XP has a built in extraction program that works quite well for downloading files for the game. I even make combined ztd files with it.

Caddienoah,

As for if the external is better than adding memory. I am not exactly sure how to handle this one. There are 2 kinds of memory the first is the memory that stores your programs and files and the second one helps to determine how fast your PC responds to your commands. If your concern is that the PC is slowing down and needs more memory then the Hard Drive won't really help but if its storage memory you need then the Hard Drive is exactly what you need. I just added the new HD and then I also, added more memory to make the PC work faster. The HD also, protects my files in case of another crash. If I ever have to reformat the HD again everything on the external is safe and I will only lose what is in the C drive.

Hope this helps anymore questions please feel free to ask.

Alicia,

I used to have Windows XP and never knew about any extraction program. I am still able to download things, but I use Winzip and instead of a 45 day trial like it says it is, I have to redownload it almost everytime I want to download something that is a .zip. My oldest brother knows a lot about computers too, but he works with them all day and sometimes it can be frustrating for him and he isn't always crazy about hearing about my computer problems. I have 222 GB's of Memory, but not sure how to get more and I don't need a new computer since this one and the monitor are both new this year. I'm computer illiterate and have a habit of messing things I don't know how to do up, so I don't want to try anything.

Kim

Guest Caddienoah

I'm still lost...to tell the truth I don't understand the definitions. I have XP, I would like to combine files. I also like this idea of an "external" HD. When I went to have the computer fixed, after it was done in by the virus, they really didn't explain the differences in memory...The computer is running slow, and according to the computer we are getting to the "full" point...I've deleted some files that we don't use, but still running out of room...one of the reasons I would like to combine files...

I'm lost! And frustrated too!

Caddienoah,

I love my external HD. I have the MyBook, by Western Digital, it registers as the D drive and most of my programs are saved into the D drive instead of the C drive. So that frees up space on the C drive which helps the PC run faster and protects against losing things when the PC crashes. but if you use it the way I do you don't want to unattach it because the installed programs will no longer be recognized by the system. So there are some programs that I still have on the C drive because of this. If you would like to talk in more detail I could call you or you could call me and maybe I could explain it better over the phone. I'll PM you and we can discuss it.

Maybe I can help explain this a little simpler for you.

There is memory we know as RAM (Random Access Memory) in todays computers usually comes in sizes of 64 MB, 128 MB, 256 MB, 512 MB, and 1 or more GIG

This memory is what your system uses to allow your programs to run. The lager the MB or GIG the faster your programs load and do things for you.

Then there is what some people call memory which is know as a Hard Drive. There are 2 types of hard drive mentioned in this thread

Internal - meaning inside your computer box with your other hardware

External meaning it sits on your desk and connects to your PC like your keyboard or mouse through usually a USB port.

Windows is loaded onto the hard drive. When you buy a PC game or program and load it onto your PC it is stored on the hard drive.

When you mention memory most computer savy people think you are talking about RAM

I hope this explains the differnce a little simpler for you.

Thanks Yellowrose sometimes when you know a subject it is hard to remember how to explain it in terms the average untrained person can follow.

Guest Caddienoah

Thank you Alicia and Yellowrose...The company that worked on the computer added something to the interior of the computer CPU...I should have checked the data sheet to see what amount we are working with. Thank you Alicia for the compliment "average untrained person" sounds so much nicer than "computer illiterate". I am learning very slowly, a nice addition to learning about ZT.

well to me there is the computer illiterate - like my grandma who has never touched a pc - the average untrained person - who hasn't taken classes in computer science - and the computer trained. There are even different levels in the computer trained people.