Newest Member
    Sladhued

• TRIFORCE89
    • Hawkkeye666
    • palanix77

Combined ztd. files

Guest ladyhawk316

Guest ladyhawk316

I have only been playing ZT for a couple months now and of course being me I have discovered the new content that can be downloaded and have to have just about everything, lol I had learned before reading up on the subject that the game has it's limits on the amount of downloads it will hold, a very depressing discovery for me:(

Question one is: I've noticed here that you have combined ztd's, these only count as one for ZT limit right? If that's the case then it would be great if more people got together to create these combined files. I am also wondering how many items can be put in one ztd. ?

Two: The ones that really confuse me and give me trouble are the dll. files. My understanding is that they are much more severly limited then the ztd.'s and unfortunately many things require them. I noticed here and on a few other sites that people have created dll.s that work for more then one item, couldn't the creators of ZT make a universal dll and offer it as an update to the game?

Last but not least: Is there a way to force the game to access updates from somewhere other then in the program files once you have already installed it? I really don't like having to mess around in there.

Thanks to all who are able to clear up some of these questions for me:)

genkicoll

Oh, geez - I can help you with this, no problem :elkgrin:

First, on combined ztds: Yes, combined ztds count as only ONE ztd in your folder, not the many that are included inside. This is why I always try to make my packs available combined nowadays. I also offer them separately so that people can pick and choose what they want in their games - they may only like a single item from one of my packs, so there's no reason to have all of the pack items show up in their menus!

We have a couple of tutorials on how to combine ztds here on the site, using different methods. It's really not hard :) Here's one by me and one from ZooGrammy.

Also, I am working on more mega-packs like the Imperial China pack (which needs to be updated :tongue:) and the mega-flower pack. I've just been swamped with real life and trying to get things ready for Tek's 5th anniversary celebration next month, so I've been behind on getting these together. For those of you who can't seem to get the ztds combined the way you'd like, not to worry - I have a LOT more combined packs planned! :elkgrin:

As for .dll files, yes, they are severely limited (compared to the ztds) as to how many you can have in your folder, but most sites (if not all, by now) have combined dlls now. We have two main dll files here - one by fern and one by Jane, and you should be covered for most everything Tek has to offer with these two. Go to THIS thread for a dll list for the various sites.

And for the last question, about adding your user created items (UCIs), see post #2 of THIS topic. It will tell you the best way to install your UCI's. Doing it through the Zoo Tycoon main screen is not only a pain, but inefficient.

Feel free to ask any other questions you might have ^__^

ZooGrammy

We are glad to answer your questions. Well Genki got to them before me. :risitas6ba0:

Guest ladyhawk316

Thanks to both of you for your help. Imagine my disappointment when I thought I couldn't use all these great things I've found for the game, lol Since that post I have discovered another question. Someone had a topic about organizing your downloaded files in dlupdates folder and they mention subfolders. I tried to PM him but apparently his inbox is full. My question was... will the game access files in a subfolder in dlupdates? I know in some programs and games it won't, I'm hoping I was understanding it right and that it will. That would be a big help.

Thanks again.

genkicoll

It will not access the subfolders. They are for organizational purposes so that you can pick and choose what you want in your game at any given moment (by putting them in the dlupdates folder).

Guest ladyhawk316

Okay, darn, thanks a lot for your help though:) I am being such a pain, lol I have yet another question. I tried using the first method of combining ztd files and I get as far as getting all the files I was zipped back up but am having trouble changing the extention. I am trying to do it just using XP's zip program and there is no file extention for the zip folder. I add one and it continues to look like a zip folder, is it suppose to? Or should it look like the other ztd. files.? I'll get all this figured out yet, once I got it I got it, it's just the getting there, lol

luvmy83wing

lady hawk unfortunately I caan't answer these questions for you but TRUST me these people do not mind question nor do they mind answering them they have all been very very helpful to me in the past so never fear they are always herre to help ......

ZooGrammy

Yes, you click on "add to zip" and when the window comes up click on "new". Then in that window type in where you want to save it, in the "Save in" box then where it says "file name" in the box below the window, type the new name of the combined file and add .ztd (for example, Red flowers combined.ztd). Then click Ok. and it will put all the files in a combined ztd. You will have the usual icon then the name and then the file extention. Now if you want it zipped so you can add a picture or a txt of information just put the ztd and other files into a zip as you normally do.

Hope this helps.

Guest ladyhawk316

I'm probably not going to be able to do it with just XP then because it doesn't bring up a save as window, it just compresses the file and puts it on my desktop, no file extension listed. Oh well, I will just have to download some software, just had hoped to avoid it.

Thanks bunches everyone.:)

Yellowrose

You will have to make the file extensions visable to be able to change them from zip to ztd for combined files.

in windows explorer click on tools - folder options- scroll until you see "Hide extensions for known file types" make sure you uncheck the box then click ok. You should now be able to see the file extensions which makes it easier to change them when needed.