• pdn
    • MaastrichianFan
    • pukkie
    • Luz21

Golden Gate Metropolis Zoo

Sher Shah Suri

Sher Shah Suri

Golden Gate Metropolis

Located in the metropolis of the city Golden Gate (not to be confused with City of the Golden Gate, aka San Francisco), North Carolina, the zoo was founded in 1918 by a man by the name of James Aaron Filne, and his wife Melanie. It started as a petting zoo, with sheep, cows, and pigs, and such rarities (in that time) as wallaroos. It expanded from there, housing exotic animals such as macaws, toucans, and sloths. Pretty soon, it began to grow even larger, with lions, polar bears, and other large animals, even a yak, were added. In 1960, still owner J.A. Filne went bankrupt and the zoo fell. Animals were shipped away for finance issues, and by 1964, only a few bird cages and the petting zoo remained. The year 2011 is seeing major changes to the tiny zoo, when Filne's (who passed away of old age in 2008 at the age of 110) grandson, 21-year old Jake E. Filne took over, bulldozed the zoo, and used the money his grandparents left behind to restore the GGMZ to its former glory.

Zoo109.jpg

Built in the middle of the visitor center, two exhibits let guests examine similar animals with similar niches from different countries. On the left, aardvarks roll in the sand and rest in the shade of their burrow. Giant anteaters inhabit the other exhibit, resembling a South American grassland replica.

Zoo110.jpg

This image shows the original Filne's Petting Zoo, where sheep, goats, and llamas live inside. Chickens and ducks are also seen in the barn. The gift shop is also shown.

Zoo111.jpg

The entrance and putt-putt golf course.

Zoo112.jpg

The visitor center's restaurant, elevated 14ft above the ground. A plan calls for a small forest to be grown behind the cafe.

Zoo113.jpg

The carousel and a shady rest area are seen in this photo.

Zoo114.jpg

The final picture of the visitor center, showing the pet center and Madagascar Amphibian House.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pukkie

• Firehawke

• Sher Shah Suri

• Cricket

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cricket

This is a very nice zoo! I'd like to see more of your work :)

Lovely zoo you are building there Sher Shah Suri

It's looking really good and I am looking forward to more pics of this zoo

Great zoo! I really like your shady rest area and the elevated restaurant. Can't wait to see the small forest!

I love this zoo! I hope you're going to post more pics :glitter_happy:

Sher Shah Suri

Thanks everybody! And for your comments, here's a new batch of photos.

Golden Gate Metropolis Zoo

Welcome back! In your absence, we've finished a new area of the zoo, Worldwide Coasts !

Zoo115.jpg

This is the entrance. You will see palms, bushes, and beach grass growing around the path for pretty much the whole time.

Zoo116.jpg

This is the first and one of the most popular exhibits, inhabited by more than 6 common bottlenose dolphins. The playful cetaceans live in a replica of a kelp forest.

And more some odd reason that ticks me off, the pictures of the Dall's porpoise exhibit wouldn't work because of an uploading error.

Zoo119.jpg

This is picture one of the penguin complex. Nearly 20 king penguins live in this huge habitat, with artificial ice floes and simulated snowstorms, and a big pool, imitating one of the perfect and largest Antarctic habitats in the zoo world.

Zoo120.jpg

This shows more of the land section of the penguin habitat, with several cooled caves for hiding in. You can also see their indoor shelter, where guests can also view them.

Zoo121.jpg

This is where you can see the exhibits of the Dall's porpoises and tufted puffins. The puffins' wings are clipped, so they cannot fly out of their open air exhibit.

Zoo122.jpg

This is bound to be another popular attraction; the exhibit for California sea lions. The sea lions can swim in their pool or rest on a rubber raft.

Zoo123.jpg

Nearby is the similar harbor seal habitat. You can just barely see the seals in this photo.

Zoo124.jpg

Four species of potentially dangerous predators inhabit this large tank: bull, shortfin mako, great hammerhead, and tiger sharks. A treasure chest, a diver statue, a bubbling clam and two sunken ships add an eerie effect to the exhibit.

Zoo125.jpg

Vaquitas, rare and beautiful porpoises, live in the (sadly) final habitat of Worldwide Coasts.

Beautiful screens of your zoo...I am impressed with your design...very creative use of scenery...can't wait to see more!

Guest bluesfan6

Keep up the good work. You have some good unique style and creativity with how you landscape and add on to the looks of buildings etc. I enjoy looking and trying to get good ideas for my zoo.

Your tank exhibits are terrific to look at and seem to be playful places for the animals!!

fountain

That is a wonderful delphin tank you made I also love the shark tanks

The whole of your Worldwide Coasts looks absolutely wonderful :glitter_happy: