• Most Online

JT12
    Newest Member
    JT12

• Goosifer
    • MsOnary

my 1878 Cincinnati Zoo

mrspiggy

As we continue on our tour you see the Waterfowl exhibit on the right. I used the Blue Heron, American Avocet, Whooping and Sandhill Crane and the Stork.

On your left are the 7 bird aviaries. These buildings not only held birds but also small reptiles. One of the buildings was home to Martha the last passenger pigeon who died in September 1914.

There is only 1 building left as the others have been demolished. That building is now a memorial to Martha.

post-29002-131717426613_thumb.jpg

Just up ahead is the Carnivore house . The building is 53' wide and 134' long with 8 inside and 8 outside cages.

post-29002-131717447702_thumb.jpg

post-29002-131717449706_thumb.jpg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mrspiggy

• Firehawke

• Fern

• caddienoah

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Excellent job mrspiggy! The older zoo definitely had it's charm - but glad the more modern exhibits are more animal-friendly.

Down the hill you have the Pony Track on the right.

And next to the Pony track you have the roller coaster and then the sacred cow (a zebu) and dog kennels. This is where I can find no proof that the zoo ever had a roller coaster, even though it is clearly marked on the map, so I put one in anyway, just because I like using the Virginia Roller Coaster…

On the left you come to the Virginia Deer Park. The park had separate areas for the elk, whitetail and Virginia deer.

post-29002-131717525087_thumb.jpg

post-29002-131717526485_thumb.jpg

post-29002-131717528125_thumb.jpg

Walking towards the front of the zoo you see the Mouflon and Pronghorn.

post-29002-131717552977_thumb.jpg

Up the hill on the left are the water buffalo and the elephant. On the right, is the rhino and finally on the left you see the crow and the rabbits.

post-29002-131717554367_thumb.jpg

post-29002-131717555728_thumb.jpg

This concludes our tour of the Cincinnati Zoo. I hope that you had fun.

A beatiful zoo...you captured the feel and look of the old zoo...and yet it has a modern touch...I enjoyed walking through it with your commentary...just a beautiful job!!!!

:glitter_happy: :th_hapydancsmil: :glitter_happy:

Where will you go next??? Can't wait to see the next one...

The bear area is amazing. :290: Of course, I could say that about the whole zoo! I think you did a great job bringing this zoo to the world of ZT. Can't wait to see your next zoo!

• 2 weeks later...

:post-59-1251675584:

Really nice job with this zoo and an education on how animal exhibits have changed.

Thanks for sharing.

:autumn:

It was fun to do but I'm glad I'm finished with it. I've been working on my 1757 Kenilworth Castle project. It's not a real zoo but more of a building project. Hopefully I will have it finished by the end of the year.

I like the projects you choose...you don't settle for the mediocre do you!!!

If it's done like this one...it should be quite a building project...be prepared to make copies...