• kong
    • (Designer)Zarawatto
    • Vainon_ajat
    • MaastrichianFan
    • Saturnine
    • kenny

Industrial center revitalize

fountain

Using the same map as Zoo Grammy used in her Seattle zoo thread, I am taking a different approach. I have created a back-story of this being a blighted area of outdated 1940-60 industry evoking the Illinois, Michigan, Pittsburgh, PA. If you can look at the map before Z G did her magic it helps.

I am building/converting old apartment and office buildings for low-income, working class-income and less density housing with some shops and small businesses with the zoo as the star attraction. Emphasis on growing veg & fruit with soil amendments sustained by the zoo. Wind turbines and bio gas generate some electricity and experimental cars. Walkable neighborhood and some walkable jobs nearby and bus transportation out of area.

Animal terrariums from http://zootycoon.nl/forum/downloads.php?cat=1 a site in German so I have English folder labels for my files. I think the terrariums are in Objecten.

The zoo emphasis is on endangered species breeding.

Okay prob with uploading. Will edit.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountain

• ZooGrammy

• Firehawke

• Fern

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Savannahjan

Looking forward to seeing this!

Trying again.

Old city center from the map.

post-21902-134737385194_thumb.jpg

post-21902-13473738778_thumb.jpg

Youth play field & wind turbines

post-21902-134737401473_thumb.jpg

Apt gardens & wide sidewalk closed to traffic but open to moving vans (after public notice), trash trucks, & emergency vehicles. Play and picnic areas behind buildings. Daycare w/ its garden. Recycle bin area. Each apt building has a threatened or extinct species statue and social areas in front. Renovated small hotel and hotel converted to small apt.

post-21902-134737431154_thumb.jpg

post-21902-134737438828_thumb.jpg

post-21902-13473745844_thumb.jpg

post-21902-134737473471_thumb.jpg

yes, many hours experimenting and lovingly placing plants ...difficult because the developers' items do not hide as other buildings do.

post-21902-134737575285_thumb.jpg

ZT fansite buses drop out early morning visitors. Zoo admission is included in bus ticket. Buses are also used by commuters to other parts of city for work or whatever. Bus riders can view the Java peafowl while waiting. Viewsof Taz Devil, Gazelles, and other zoo entrance.

post-21902-134737606873_thumb.jpg

post-21902-134737580542_thumb.jpg

I've used invisible path to keep visitors from pouring thru the resident neighborhood. Lots of exhibit signs substituting for access info. Streets are neighborhood watch as well as local police-neighbor foot patrols on the beat who know people and watch for safety of visitors, children, all age residents.

ZooGrammy

It's great. I love how you interpreted the theme. I missed putting the apartment complex in mine. Don't know how I missed that. Will have to look for it.

It's great. I love how you interpreted the theme. I missed putting the apartment complex in mine. Don't know how I missed that. Will have to look for it.

I added a hotel across the street from the brick apt. It is not from the map.

What are those blue-roofed buildings near the farmers' market in your Seattle zoo?

I love this zoo! :th_hapydancsmil: Great mix of manmade items with the animals!

It was quite challenging and I had to remind myself to save space for the zoo.

I will say that I gave much thought to doing a version more like what Zoo Grammy did, but I couldn't wrap my head around the concept;I kept getting confused about which block I was on!! So I did the major bulldoze to consolidate the living area and have people build new neighborhood feeling together. ... funny thing is there are times when I was placing things that could "hear" snippets of conversation or comments by the people living there on where and what I was putting. Pus telling me not to get to fancy because children need a place to run and while flowers are conversation starters people need room to talk and laugh and they make the neighborhood, "not the posies".

...Talk about getting involved in the game. :Reality_check: