Truly_happy's Projects, Ideas and To-do's

Truly_happy

Cricket

Cricket, that is an appreciable offer but I would rather have a few pointers on rotations than have it done for me. My greatest obstacle is the northern views; instead of dissapearing behind the building the doors stick out about a space from where I want them to stand. If you csn't visuslize what I mean, I can post an image of it but not right now.

I can certainly understand that :) Not too many folks are willing to tackle it themselves. I admire that! Post your pic whenever you are ready and we'll take a look at it :)

One thing I often do is use a finished file to base the rotations on. Especially fences which have so many parts it would take forever to finish one otherwise. For your doors I suggest you get one of genki's doors and extract them into a folder. Then open two sets of zoot. Use one to open one of genki's doors and the other to open your file. Bring up the ne rotation view of both and use genki's as guide for yours. Forget the upper part of the door and concentrate on the bottom line of the graphics. Do that for each view.

If you were doing a recolour, as long as the canvas size has not changed you can use the same settings as seen in the upper right corner. I did that for the settings of all the dino fences I recoloured so they would line up ingame. For that I had extracted the ingame files using zoot so the canvas sizes etc were the same.

Rather than post a pic of the problem send the file to cricket or me and we can do the rotation and write you a tutorial based on what we do so you can fix the file yourself. We would not send you back the file rotated just the tutorial. Reason being is that some require actually doing so we can see the problem which pics might not show.

Using other files for comparison or as a basis is not cheating but a way of learning and very useful when you need thins to line up.

Just reading your post about the problem I would say that using genkis doors as a guide will show you what you are doing wrong which I suspect is just where you are placing the graphics. Doors would be configured as a 1/2 tile (another reason to see the actual file) so have you got the ucs setting right for that? In zoot you would still use 2x2 setting.

Truly_happy

In zoot you would still use 2x2 setting.

Okay, that was the problem: I forgot that and changed the setting from 2x2 to 2x1 or something. Now my door sits flush against the building when viewed from behind. :)

Now my problems lie in the programming part but I don't have time to explain that ... or upload a file. Later!

• 2 weeks later...
Truly_happy

Okay, looks like I need to say something about programming. I don't remember all of what I had a problem with when I last posted but often I make an object and it shows up twice in the catalog. Any explanations for this from the pros? It has to do with APE, right?

Also, I'm still experimenting with restaurants and things based on the configured doors. One is an "open" sign meant for buildings that already have nice entry ways. So far it functions as a working restaurant but the graphics still don't line up. Should prove to be very handy when finished. :)

Next, I'm recoloring some of the Jul Tekel components, at least for my own use. Is recoloring allowed for those? So far I have blue pieces in-game and graphics to make yellow ones. This project has at least taught me something about how to use Zoot's positioning tool: when making an object with an "n-by-one" dimention, for example, it only worked right when I set Zoot to nx1, put the graphic where I wanted it to go in-game, then set it back to nx2 and saved.

Lastly, I have read that APE gives one a lot of unneeded lines in the program files. I'd like to know at least a few of those ommitable lines to streamline my own project files. It might save someone else in the long run. ;)

Savannahjan

I will leave the programming issues to someone more knowledgeable, as in I have 0 knowledge. :tongue: But if you decide to recolor another designer's download, you need to first ask permission from that person to use their images for recoloring. Usually you can accomplish that with a PM, but sometimes the person has left the community and might be unreachable. Many designers have left blanket permissions to use any of their items/images as desired, like Catfish. You can just send Jane a PM regarding the Jul Tegel items.

Have you checked the Tek tutorial section for cleaning up the text in the files? Can't remember if there is a topic about that.

Truly_happy

"Tegel." With a G. Oops.

I have not checked the tutorial section for cleaning up files but I will.

Just PM'd Jane.

Truly_happy

Got permission! :D

Truly_happy

It's ...

Picture Time

Or

I Finally Got on My Laptop instead of Posting via My Phone

Blue Jul Tegel so far:

of9bgy.jpg

I need to perfect my rotations but the color is pretty. :wubgreen:

Here's what I mean about double icons in my catalog:

6xxifr.jpg

I'm highly open to explanations and advice. :gnomesmileyf:

15qxgm1.jpg

I finally went for the obvious and borrowed the diner logo from the base game restaurant. It doesn't look good on everything, but I seem to have found enough deco objects for it. :laugh: This screenshot also contains items made by African Raptor, RDingFT, SavanaJan, SavyJ, Genkicol, CristiJabberJaws, Catfish, Blue Fang and possible others.

Did you configure the red door more than one way? If you look at the brown door above it is the same door but with 3 different configurations. Because of this genki added a symbol to the icon to indicate what the door was used for.

If that is not the cause I would need to see the file.

Truly_happy

The red door is only configured as a restroom. I will have to get the file to you when I can.