VNDragon's ZT1 Projects

VNDragonV2

Thanks for this incredible hack! One thing I wanted to ask, would it be possible to turn the DD's version of Triceratops into a new animal? It seems a shame to just let those assets go to waste, and it looks different enough from Triceratops (it's not like the original Zoo Tycoon avoided recolors), are there any ceratopsids it could reasonably be made into? It might be a fun way to pad out the Dinosaurs ever so slightly.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2021 at 8:35 AM, MetaKnight said:

Thanks for this incredible hack! One thing I wanted to ask, would it be possible to turn the DD's version of Triceratops into a new animal? It seems a shame to just let those assets go to waste, and it looks different enough from Triceratops (it's not like the original Zoo Tycoon avoided recolors), are there any ceratopsids it could reasonably be made into? It might be a fun way to pad out the Dinosaurs ever so slightly.

I personally prefer the dulled coloration of the DD Trike and even tried using that color scheme with the OG Trike earlier without success (the model has pixelated grey patches).

Jntg4's hack (that @mjmannella shared above) doesn't do exactly what you were hoping, but it's a good compromise. I didn't know of it until now so if you use that hack + mine you will just end up with 2 big OG Trike instead of one for each version.

As for making it into a separate animal? There are plenty of recoloured version of the DD Trike in the download section right here for your choosing and I think that's the better way to use the asset. These versions don't resemble the actual ceratopsid species in real life, of course (or they do, depending on your standard I guess). Triceratops, for how popular it is, is actually quite unique-looking among its kin. An ideal ceratopsid that the DD Trike can be made into is a dwarf/island version of Triceratops, but none has been found in real life. 

• Like 1

Hawkkeye666
13 hours ago, VNDragonV2 said:

I personally prefer the dulled coloration of the DD Trike and even tried using that color scheme with the OG Trike earlier without success (the model has pixelated grey patches).

Jntg4's hack (that @mjmannella shared above) doesn't do exactly what you were hoping, but it's a good compromise. I didn't know of it until now so if you use that hack + mine you will just end up with 2 big OG Trike instead of one for each version.

As for making it into a separate animal? There are plenty of recoloured version of the DD Trike in the download section right here for your choosing and I think that's the better way to use the asset. These versions don't resemble the actual ceratopsid species in real life, of course (or they do, depending on your standard I guess). Triceratops, for how popular it is, is actually quite unique-looking among its kin. An ideal ceratopsid that the DD Trike can be made into is a dwarf/island version of Triceratops, but none has been found in real life. 

Are you sure there are no dwarf triceratops?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatankaceratops

Khaydar

I don't know if it's already inclued, but how about making the mammouth like elephant shelters instead of caves? If I recall woolly mammouths are around the same size than Asian elephants, thus they should fit inside...

• Like 2

I like this idea.

I second the idea to make shelters for mammoths (maybe all ice age creatures) more accurate.

This is a really great hack, VNDragon! I’ve added its files to my essential vanilla+ mod build folder.

Are the renders for DD animals and background plaques available so that one could make new biome-accurate plaques, or is this not possible?

7 hours ago, Golbolco said:

I second the idea to make shelters for mammoths (maybe all ice age creatures) more accurate.

This is a really great hack, VNDragon! I’ve added its files to my essential vanilla+ mod build folder.

Are the renders for DD animals and background plaques available so that one could make new biome-accurate plaques, or is this not possible?

Edit: Whoops, I got the plaques and the icons mixed up. Yes, I recall that there are background plaques available somewhere. There are no transparent renders, however, but I can make them myself. I just need to remember where I can extract the stock plaques from ZTStudio. It's been nearly a year since I touch these things haha. 

@Hawkkeye666 You can see from the Wikipedia article itself that Takantaceratops is a controversial genus. Same goes with some others such as Nedoceratops.

@Khaydar Fret not! The Woolly Mammoth is compatible to both the small and large elephant shelters! :D

There is a pack of all the ingame shelters that allows all animals use any shelter. It is quite funny watching a giraffe use a burrow. :rolllaugh:

• Haha 3

• 10 months later...
LapisLazuli77

So it has been almost a full year since the last update, and almost a full year since I've been using this mod. Definitely very useful, very well-made, and very satisfying, but I do ask; would it be possible if I could please modify this hack and possibly improve it(mostly in regards to editing the .ai files of the animals further and strive for even more accuracy and logic).