• CelestialEvolution
    • Goosifer
    • (Admin)Cricket
    • EmpN
    • Fern
    • bxdczoo

Kooky's Halloween Scenario

kooky112

This is a very nice thing that you do for all of us...I was not around when Mocals was here...but I feel I know her by all the things people have said about her...you do her a honor by resurrecting this piece of history, that Savannahjan brought to light...I'm looking forward to visiting this piece of history! Thank you for all the work you put into this project!

I'm going to talk to people at Zoo Admin to see about learning how to make user made scenarios right now. However, the zoo is submitted with the quest of what you need to do for the scenario in the description :)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kooky112

• Fern

• pukkie

• casey

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay everyone, I'd like some help with this but here is what Jay told me to do at Zoo Admin.

Jay

I have not created a scenario. There have been a few that have here and my understanding is that it is not easy. But here is some information that might help you. I do not believe you need any special programs.

For any saved zoo, one would need to know what downloads are needed for it and what ZT version is needed for it. I created a program that helps with this, but I have not released the program yet. If a zoo was saved in MM or CC, then it cannot be loaded by someone that has only the original ZT. If a zoo needs downloads, that might make it difficult for some people to get the downloads.

You would need to decide which ZT versions you want the scenario to run in. If a zoo was saved in MM or CC, then, obviously, the scenario would only run in MM and CC.

ZT has an example scenario file. For the original ZT, it is scenario/example/example.scn in scenario.ztd. Once example.scn is extracted outside of any ZT folder, it can be viewed with any text editor, such as WordPad (comes with MS Windows) or Vim (open source). Although NotePad could also be used, it sometimes merges lines together that should not be merged in some files, because it is an older program. example.scn has comments describing the various rule possibilities. A scenario is merely a set of rules describing the goals of the scenerio and what happens (targets) when certain goals are reached, whether it is winning the scenario, losing the scenario, giving an award, unlocking something, or giving cash. example.scn also contains examples of how to use the rules to make goals. MM increased the rule possibilities. So it has an expanded version of example.scn, which is scenario/example.scn in XPACK2/scenari6.ztd. To see how the rules were used to create goals and targets for things that come with ZT, one can look at any of the other ".scn" files in the various scn..., scenari... and freef... ".ztd" files.

Once you understand the types of things you can do with the rules, you can then decide what you want to do for your scenario. This is probably the most difficult step. You would also need to decide what messages the scenario will show on the selection screen, when it is won, when it is lost, and for any awards that occur. Then you would create your own ".scn" file. The messages would go in a ".dll" file, but all of the sites have someone who can do that part. You will probably also want to have an image of the zoo converted into ZT image format to show in the selection screen. Although APE can be used for that, Zoot is a better tool. Again, all of the sites have someone who can do that part.

Good luck.

Could you send it to me please Fern? That would be great if you could

Also I have zipped all of the files required for Mocals zoo into a zipped folder that I can add in with the download.

And I uploaded the file, it might still need to be accepted by an administrator maybe?

Yes, your file would have to be tested and approved by admin here and I am not sure that admin will pass a file that big. Plus I am not sure that it is okay to include the files of others in a release like that. Especially if that includes downloads from another site. Back then we often used the ZA Developer files and other files in most contests and there is no way they would be allowed to be included. A downloads list is all that is necessary.

I will problaby upload the original map which is a tiny file, along with all the criteria. I have been meaning to do that with a lot of the workbench maps from contests for some time since many were lost in various revamps of the site.

Your one should probably be listed as an adaption of the original and mocal's since you were not the originator. Hmm I wonder if I can see who created the original map as it would be nice to include that info.

Why not grab the Map Editor and create a brand new workbench (map) for Halloween using the files you would like. Then it would be all your own work rather than an adaptation. Or why not see if Tek would like you to create a contest.

Hmm that's not a bad idea. It would be fun to throw a halloween contest, and would go along perfectly with the zoo I am making for Halloween as well. I've already downloaded a map editor to make my halloween zoo too lol.