RDFT's Projects ... Part 2

Rinding FT

Thank you 3~ :)

I just know there are some subspecies of lion from wikipedia, too. :)

There are some versions of lion subspecies, but it's difficult to know from appearance, size, and distribution, still need Mitochondrion check. So far can know is the white lions are found in South Africa.

If we just want to know very very simple subspecies, just 3: Barbary lion, Asian Lion, and South African lion. :)

Professor Paul

Jonathan Kingdon, who is an authority on African mammals, lists all lions as monotypic, ie no subspecies, with all those listed in Wikipedia as geographic variations. I beleive myself they they should be counted as subspecies, not just based on mitochondrial but also morphological variations. The skull of the Asian lion, for example, is very different from that of lions found south of the equator.Lions in East Africa also show variations from W African lions & the Barbary lion is very similar skeletally to the Asian rather than the southern lions.

Oh oh!! Thank you~~

About three way classification of the lion , I just wonder, the south African lion, the form I find says P. l. senegalensis, but as I know, it's west lion....

Ummm..it's hard to know what lion for us~:) I only know Asian, African lions~ :)

Professor Paul

Sorry for the delay, been out all day.The Cape Lion was P.L.melanochaita according to some authorities

Big Cat Memorial Wall~

mPmetv9Y59kifVR7ZzFjk.jpg

Contains 37 walls~ all the images are from Robert Dallet, a French wildlife artist. :)