Vondell's Zoos

Vondell

This is a beautiful zoo! You really put some thought in the guest areas. I guess fave uci birds for me are the peafowl.

• 2 years later...
Vondell

i'm building again! :) just getting my downloads back in order and testing some of mine that haven't been released yet. wanted to get a small zoo to completion.

small_square_zoo.png

calling it Horsetail Island (Wildlife) Park, because I planted a lot of horsetail in it.

images are under Spoiler tags because they're compressed gifs, and folks with slower connections may want to load them one at a time. they're about 1 to 3MB each.

let me know if this works.

Spoiler

sequence_1_14_title.gif

entrance path leads to low paved area surrounding a deep Baiji enclosure planted along its edges and trimmed by Genki's brick fences that I ended up using throughout the park.

Spoiler

sequence_1_15.gif

moving north, from the entrance, the Aviary and the food court. I use the Developer Menu buildings in several roles in this park. One of them is to plausibly tie the food court buildings into a cohesive structure. I think it looks nice! the fancy stand buildings have the same window textures as the developer buildings.

Spoiler

sequence_1_04.gif

moving northeast, a sort of Victorian hedge garden with small pools, a duck pond, covered trellises and Crystal Palace pterodactyl statues. this is the path to an open walkway above the giant tortoise enclosure. also visible to the south: the central saltwater crocodile enclosure.

Spoiler

sequence_1_05.gif

to the north, the only other two tanks at Horsetail Island Park. a single giant octopus to the left, and a pair of Lion's Mane jellies to the right. a central wooden walkway allows for a close look and an opportunity to rest away from the rest of the park. a lot of the groundcover plants in this area are configured path tiles, so guests are free to walk on them directly up to the tanks. the rest of the tortoise enclosure is also visible here, as well as a second backlot area. can you tell I like the Developer Menu objects a lot?

Spoiler

sequence_1_13.gif

moving southeast from the tortoises, the back of the park is built around a thylacine enclosure. I got a lot of mileage out of the vanilla wooden slat exhibit fences in this area. always remember you can use exhibit fences for decoration too, as long as you're careful not to enclose anything completely with them. and what are a few empty exhibits between friends, anyway. there's one at the far right of this picture around one of those wooden shelters that I can open or close based on how many shelters the thylacines need at the moment.

Spoiler

sequence_1_06.gif

rotating one click counterclockwise, another view of the thylacine enclosure showing how it shares a viewing area on the left with the tortoises to its west and the duck pond / garden and primate house to its south. a lot of the foliage from the thylacine enclosure is from the No Grass, Please pack (the tall tree ferns, the soft tree ferns, the cycadeoidea shrub in the gardens) or my own (cattails, switchgrass, algae, hopefully coming soon to our downloads). the cave shelters are RDingFT's. Genki & Fern's vine fences get a lot of use in my landscaping in this park too, especially in this area.

Spoiler

sequence_1_08.gif

to the east, flamingoes and amethyst rocks, and a wooden/brick viewing area. also featured: double-restroom-shelter-vending area.

Spoiler

sequence_1_18.gif

the southeast side of the park, a restaurant and outside eating/sitting area.

that's the park! here's some bonus shots:

Spoiler

sequence_1_10.gif

(detail.) the parking meter from the Developer Menu makes a convincing quarter binocular viewer. guests don't use it of course, but c'est la vie.

Spoiler

sequence_1_12.gif

(detail.) i love backlots!

Spoiler

sequence_1_19.gif

wide shot.

Custom Content used:

This is awesome!  Casey's glass tank walls were at Zoo Admin.  I can send them if anyone wants them. 

Any chance your algae, switchgrass, and cattails will be released?

ZooGrammy

Fantastic!   I snagged several pictures.   There is a lot there to study.  I love your detail. 

• 2 weeks later...

You have some building skills there Vondell.

What a good looking zoo and I loved to see the Pternadon thingie is that like the gorilla and orangutan statues an unreleased item?

Love your use of foliage absulutely fabulous

Vondell

pukkie, actually, those statues are available as bonus items bundled with P.Rex's "No Grass Please" realistic Dinosaur Digs pack along with some special prehistoric exhibit foliage. They're based on the world's first sculptures of ancient reptiles, by Benjamin Waterhouse Hawkins in the 1850s for London's Crystal Palace gardens. I think P.Rex included them as a testament to how far our understanding of prehistoric animals has come in 150 years. (turns out most of these animals looked nothing like the statues!)

crystal_palace_statues.png.5d7f5cdb61d54ff444dd4f451a07a3e6.png  dinosaurs_350x250_12362.jpg.f4c8a9908d64df8e000eefdbfdcdc568.jpg

and thanks for the kind words, everybody! Heather, as far as the Cattails, Algae, and Switchgrass go, I'll have to ask about that. I'm not sure if they've been tested yet or not. I've got them packed up and ready to go once I get the OK. I know there's some downloads of mine we're hoping to release a little later in the year, but I'm not sure which ones are ready yet and which ones still need tweaking. I haven't been around much to plan till just recently.

I also wanted to stop by this thread to post a couple shots of a small zoo I made to grab a bunch of screenshots of the newly released Red Panda. it's based on Caddienoah's Urbanville Wildlife Park workbench.

pandas5.thumb.png.1885ec4866bd8fe14d1c21ac2218abf1.png

pandas6.thumb.png.1d27b6a7e7066f7cc6d142bc9b9bcb28.png

lots of Genki's brick decorations as usual, also wanted to see if I could find an interesting way to use Toodlepops' Panda Research Buildings for the first time. if there's anything else in here that catches your eye let me know and I'll track it down for ya.

( if you haven't seen yet, the Red Panda has finally been officially released and you can grab it here: http://zootekphoenix.com/forums/files/file/3401-red-panda-by-vondell/ )

:hug2:

ZooGrammy

Vondell,  I believe that you are the most creative Zoo Tycoon player of anyone I have seen.  Your use of the downloads is so unique.   Thank you so much for sharing. 

Savannahjan

Just catching up to your new projects, Vondell.  Your zoo is amazing, such detail, so many interesting elements.  I agree with ZG, you are a Zoo Master my friend.  It is so nice to see you here and enthusiastic about ZT.  Can't wait to play with the Red Panda.  :clap:

Vondell

Thanks for the kind words everybody! Tooling around with another small zoo based on one of the default MM maps.

Highlights from this one:

Spoiler

waterfalls_7.gif

The brick central structure, not sure what to call it; it's an eating area and a gateway to the main area of the zoo, and it's got a playground, and it's bordered by covered walkways that overlook four exhibits; Ibex, Bighorn, Black Bear, Gray Wolf, clockwise from left. Area gets a little crowded with traffic, but what can you do. That entryway behind the playground is a restaurant. The two vendor stalls out front are food and drink stands. The central area connects to the outside loop through arches to the left and right of the entry. The left side of the loop connects to a dirt path heading down a steep hill ...

Spoiler

waterfalls2.gif

To the northwest corner of the park, where guests can kayak around a large waterfall cliff. There's a tall, thin tank straddling the corner with a pair of Atlantic Sawfish in it, visible either from the Kayaks or from a looped walking bridge (these are my steel bridge assets).

Spoiler

waterfalls_8.gif

Reverse view of that area. From this angle the Bighorn and Ibex exhibits are visible, on the steep faces of the hills to the left and right. Kayaking guests can get right up close to the Bighorns as they come down to drink. Non-kayaking guests can see them from above, from a little observation path built into the hillside from the access path. Can see the black bears from over there too. The big cliff thing and the lake around it were already a part of the default map, and I knew I wanted to keep it and put a Kayak rental down there. I think it's pretty scenic.

Spoiler

waterfalls_4.gif

It's a small map, so that's actually pretty much everything. I left an area out front between the entrance and the brick commons that I'm building out with educational zoo buildings and a carousel, ring toss, etc; away from the animal sanctuary part of the park. For another day maybe.

It's a wonder what kinds of unique uses you can still find for something as simple as the boat rental. Ever since I remembered you don't have to fence them off with buoy fences I've had an itch to include kayaking routes in my parks. One day I'd like to try a large map with a river canyon that's meant to be seen mostly from kayaks -- food for thought, maybe! Till then I just like doing these small zoos to play with different ideas. Those brick fortified walls have me thinking now, too ...

As always, I'm happy to track down any downloads anyone wants identified. I think the only unreleased ones in this map are my switchgrass, cattails and my steel bridge set. I should be submitting all three sometime soon, I just haven't gotten around to double-checking all the files yet. Cheers!