P.Rex

This is most intriguing... and some of the points you've raised really got me thinking.

A steppe mammoth would require a different environment than the woolly mammoth or modern elephants. If I were to recreate it, I'd want its environment to be as similar as possible to the region of Norfolk during the interglacial period. Can you provide me with any data about the Runton elephant's environment? Climate, local flora, other notable animals- anything would be useful.

There are many interesting extinct elephants that have barely been explored in media, I already plan to add Deinotherium and possibly the Columbian mammoth, perhaps also Gompotherium... but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

EDIT: Just saw you PDF, thanks! I'll take a look.

Professor Paul

If you're looking at other extinct proboscideans (technically gompotheres aren't elephants) I'd suggest Anancus. There are also some interesting prehistoric rhinos.

In modern zoology mammals tend to be more recognisable to the general public but in palaeontology they are a little in the shadow of the dinosaurs. Take away the mammoths, woolly rhinos & sabretooths and you take away the ones most people know.

A good source if you are looking for creatures to research is Mikko's Phylogeny Archive (I use it as a reference to PPNE myself) but it can be a little unwieldy unless you have a basic knowledge of animal taxonomy. Extinct species or genera are indicated by a cross symbol, I can't find the way to make the symbol show up with my keyboard but it's am approximation of the Christian cross.

Aye, part of my long-term plan for this project is to add a lot more obscure animals besides the iconic dinosaurs (which BF didn't even bother to do correctly). Besides mammals, I plan to add a few synapsids, basal archosaurs, pterosaurs, Carboniferous giant arthropods, and also a few aquatic creatures from all periods (meaning this mod will require both DD and MM, or the complete collection). There will be some additional dinosaurs as well though, some more well-known than others. Besides my own originally-made models, which I've posted a few pages back, I'll also cannibalize from Carnivores and JPOG as I see fit.

Professor Paul

Brontoscorpio, Arthropleura, and a realistic Meganeura would be good.

Brontoscorpio wasn't from the Carboniferous IIRC, and it was fully aquatic, but I could try to make one and have it tank-placeable. I am, however, planning to make Pulmonoscorpius, as well as the other two you've mentioned.

Professor Paul

If you do a search on Pulmonoscorpius be careful, it brings up an image from an old Ray Harryhausen movie! Got to admit, I am greatly looking forwards to researching scorpions when I get round to it, amazing how one basic design seems to have lasted for millions of years. The BBC covered some ancient Arthropods in Walking with Monsters. Mikko is a good source for genera you might like to tackle there as well.

I mentioned brontoscorpio as it's a personal favourite of mine,although it's Ordovician rather than Carboniferous, must admit I was thinking of Walking with Monsters when I typed my last post!

Colour coded buildings pack 3 includes a building along those lines - Sensational Scorpions. It also includes one called Arachnid Antics.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have a good photograph or illustration of a Tambalacoque tree? I wanted to make one for this mod, potentially for a future Dodo exhibit, but Google Images so far only got me either pictures of dodos, seeds preserved in formaline, or about ten types of completely different trees, so I have no idea what the actual tree looks like.

• 1 month later...

Oh wow! I love this! Genius Genius! :worship: :yahoo:

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone, long time no see huh? I'm working on another update for NGP, this time focusing on decoration objects. Here's a little teaser:

igustatuewip.jpg

19megawip.jpg