Serpy 2: hellectric Boogaloo

Serpyderpy

Not disappeared, just slowly working on things in the background. I've been chipping away at several smaller packs but real life has been getting in the way. That said I've managed to get some of the marine animals to behave, as previously APE would just crash if I tried to look at the animations. I've managed to get a few land/water based animals to work, but is there a value for the uca that determines the offset of the swimming? One I've made, the sprite is somewhat 'taller' than most and when it swims it kind of floats above where it is usually on land, for example a water tile next to a tile of trees shows it floating above the base of the trees rather than on the water tile itself. Is this a sprite issue, or a footprint issue? Any help would be appreciated.

• Love 1

It could be a footprint or rotation issue.

Not many people do this but animals can be rotated just like scenery.

from Jay:

I use the words "positioning" and "positioned" instead of "rotation" and "rotated". And it certainly sounds like the animal could have positioning adjustments made. Most animal designers do not do positioning adjustments for animals because it takes a lot of time, especially trying to adjust the positions consistently across all of the animal's animations. I have done it for a few animals, both tank animals and land animals. In the case of land animals, it was because of where the animals were shown when they exited a shelter. I used Zoot to do the positioning adjustments. As for APE/APExp crashing trying to look at animations, that is usually with shadow animations. If one does not look at the shadow animations, most animations can be looked at with APE/APExp. APE will crash for some other reasons, but APExp 3.2 usually handles those other situations. Zoot can also be used to look at most animations. But Zoot cannot handle ZT's type of shadow animations (which are usually different than user made shadow animations) or tank surface animations where the first frame has no pixels. As for user made tank animals, some animal designers create shadow animations and some animal designers do not. If one does not create shadow animations, there are settings in the ".uca" that will have ZT create shadow animations if it does not see shadow animations in the ".uca". Those settings might be there already when using APExp 3.2.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

It's been a while, but recently thought about getting back into ZT1 modding. Blame Khaydar and Goosifer for that. Fiddling around with trees, so have a sikang pine! If all else goes well there will be an animal to go alongside it.

image.png

• Like 2
  • Love 6

Look at how cool those trees look. They blend in with the official ones so well!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Savannahjan

Love the coloring and shading, they look great!

• Love 1

• 3 weeks later...
Khaydar
On 9/21/2023 at 4:26 AM, Serpyderpy said:

"Blame Khaydar and Goosifer for that."

I will not escape Zoo Tycoon, no one escapes, not even you.

• Haha 4

They keep us locked inside of the ZooTek designer sweatshop only to come out to share progress pictures. Tell your friends, save ussss. Quick Khaydar, Fern is coming, run! We must bring news of the outside to @Thylaco and tell him hope is still alive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I've had a look around and I'm not entirely sure where to ask this, how would I go about requesting some string ids for something like the eras on the dinosaurs? I've been doing an overhaul mod and I think I need some more specific ones.

No point in thinking about getting ids until you have completed your animals since there is a limited number of them available.