Serpy 2: hellectric Boogaloo

Serpyderpy

From Jay: Concerning eras for animals, it only makes sense to use IDs for them if a new scenario or new award is being made for them. Otherwise it is better to put the era inside the animal info instead.

• 4 months later...
Serpyderpy

I've been working on a rather large project the last few months, what originally started as small personal changes to VNDragon's realism hack snowballed into an entire overhaul of Dinosaur Digs. Terrain changes, restoring unused animations and sounds, icon and plaque changes, additional foliage (hopefully) and more to come. The basis of this hack was VNDragon's (and by extension NGP and every other hack incorporated into it) and I have also included a few other hacks that were not compatible that I felt fit, but there's plenty of content I've stuck in there that's new. My track record of releasing mods isn't the greatest, but I feel comfortable showing these screens now, if anything because I could release the mod as is, though there's a few goodies and details I want to try and include in the initial release, if I can. Hopefully you guys can play it soon. Click on the images for higher res!

serpyfeb26_1.webpserpyfeb26_2.webp

serpyfeb26_3.webpserpyfeb26_4.webp

• Like 1
  • Love 4

This is all so exciting!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

LapisLazuli77

AYOOOOO

Mad respect for taking on the challenge of actually changing the plaques.

And I see you "brought back" the Scrub biome too!

A personal thought I had a long while back was restoring the small Triceratops as Zuniceratops or something.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Serpyderpy

Thank you everyone!

50 minutes ago, LapisLazuli77 said:

AYOOOOO

Mad respect for taking on the challenge of actually changing the plaques.

And I see you "brought back" the Scrub biome too!

A personal thought I had a long while back was restoring the small Triceratops as Zuniceratops or something.

Yes! The plaques were honestly what spurred a lot of this on, usually in the downtime on scenarios or sometimes in freeform I will idly click through the animal facts just because I think they're pretty, but seeing dinosaurs in wildly different environments threw me off. Seeing as I wanted to change terrain preferences anyway I thought I'd give it a shot, they've been surprisingly fun to make. The scrub biome I wish got used more, I know we don't have a specific terrain type for them but scrub biomes can be quite varied irl anyway, plenty of opportunities with the terrain tiles we have.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
johnztmaster

Great project! Looks very professional with the new icons and plaques -- love the swimming Spinosaurus too, unsure if that originated in one of the many preceding hacks. The tank set for the plesiosaurs looks great -- where is that from?

On 2/26/2024 at 1:31 PM, LapisLazuli77 said:

That's a pretty cool idea! I have a Zuniceratops I've made and need to clean up but it was made before I ever found out about the changed Triceratops anims.

Serpyderpy
On 4/1/2024 at 1:58 AM, johnztmaster said:

Great project! Looks very professional with the new icons and plaques -- love the swimming Spinosaurus too, unsure if that originated in one of the many preceding hacks. The tank set for the plesiosaurs looks great -- where is that from?

Thank you! The swimming spinosaurus was a hack made by Jymn, though the original hack changed the palette of the female and young sprites to a more distinct colour. For it's inclusion in this hack I made the young graphics reuse the male palette, which more closely matches the vanilla spinosaurus.

The tank set is by Vondell! You can find it in the downloads section here or in their google drive link.

• 2 weeks later...
Serpyderpy

Just popping in to say that for the initial release of this hack I've decided to trim the fat down just to get the first version out. I was back and forth if I wanted to try and push for giving dinosaurs new foliage that better matches the formations that they lived in, but trying to reconstruct paleoflora is way more of a pain since visual reconstructions are rare and that'd be waaaaaay more work and could easily come in an update down the road. I need to finish up two buildings and do a few of the remaining plaques, and we should be good to go.

Currently the initial release will have:

• completely redone terrain and foliage requirements for a lot of dinosaurs, courtesy of Incinerox's suggestions
  • animations that were rendered and made but weren't set to play in the animals behaviour sets have been readded
  • sounds that either weren't used or had a wrong path have been readded and fixed
  • changes to certain scenarios to better match other changes that have been made elsewhere in the hack
  • two whole new scenarios are included
  • some new rocks, scenery, and buildings
  • bunch of other little changes I can't remember right now

There will be a full changelist text file included inside the download when it comes, eventually, documenting all the changes, credits. etc.

• Like 4

Serpyderpy

Surprise double post! I got a sudden burst of energy and managed to finish off this thing that's relatively new all things considered, probably one of my favourite animals. You can find the saola below in my google drive, in my signature. It has male, female and young graphics, and should be a bit of a pain to make happy, but hopefully makes up for that in guest appeal.

image2.png.844cf95788186be0c4630cabed280571.pngimage.png.ffeb4574f17811779091faef114bf111.png

• Like 1
  • Love 1